SRX wave expansion boards

Reaction score
I have always loved the sound of my Roland RD-700, but I'm getting a little tired of the piano sound. I thought about getting the concert piano expansion board, but if I don't like it I can't get my money back from Musician's Friend, only a credit toward something else.
Does anybody here have this expansion board? I'd love to know if it's as good as the piano sounds that the Yamaha Motif XF has.

Reaction score
I haven't tried the SRX-11 in an RD-700. I have tried it in an XV-5050 being controlled by the 76 key version of one of the CME keyboards.

Very playable. It's expensive and you may not find it much better than the one in your RD-700.

What are you playing through?

For the price of a new SRX-11 you might be able to pick up a pair of good powered monitors. Depending on what you're using now - it may sound like a new machine to you.

My tuppence worth.

Reaction score
I'm playing through a Behringer 500W powered mixer and a 15" speaker cabinet. I'm not sure what brand of speaker it is, but it's very good. All in all, I think it's a pretty clean little PA.
I did order the expansion board last night; I got it from AMS, because they have a money-back guarantee. If you're right and I don't find it much better, no harm done, I can just return it for my money back.
Something else I'm interested in is the software you can buy to get sounds. I saw one called Komplete 7 that is supposed to be amazing, but I don't understand...would I have to hook the keyboard up to my pc all the time get the sounds out of it? I'm an old player, but I'm new to playing with any kind of technology.

Reaction score
PA - fine for gigging. For home it'll sound great through a couple of Tannoy Reveal 5As (or similar) running in stereo from the L+R outs.

Komplete - I'm a Native Instruments fan. Haven't got Komplete but I've other stuff by NI and also Sonivox, another good outfit. There's lots of good free stuff too. I'm not young either and was all hardware keyboards until a few years ago. There are issues around gigging software instruments but for using at home or in a studio they're (relatively) inexpensive if you have a computer you can use already.

Post back for suggestions/help.

Reaction score
Well, I went ahead and bought the SRX-11 Complete piano anyway, and I'll be returning it. At first listen, I though it was great, but when I listened harder, especially to the decay, it does sound almost toy-like. I'm not sure whether I want to try the SRX-02 Concert Piano or just get my money back.

Ask a Question