Stage Piano search: opinions

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm not much of a high-tech guy when it comes to keyboards. I play a Nord Electro 61. For years I played a Kurzweil SP88 through the Nord so I would have 88 weighted keys to play as well as the "hammer action" keys on the Nord.

I sold the Kurzweil because I really need something that can make good sounds on its own since the Nord won't split, and the Kurz sounds weren't cutting it. Problem is, I haven't found much to compare with the Nord's sounds. One of the most common splits I need is a clav and a Hammond. Every clav I play, except the Nord, sounds like a cheap toy.

My budget tops out at about a grand. I'm thinking now want to use a MIDI controller with 88 weighted keys that can hold samples taken from the Nord. Not being a MIDI guy, I'm not sure whether this is possible. Also, what's the best straight-up controller with 88 weighteds?

Reaction score
Nord samples are in a proprietary format and just can't be "loaded" into another keyboard. It may be possible to convert the nord samples to .wav format through a program like Awave, however the sample sizes would be pretty large and you'd need a keyboard that could load large sample files. One keyboard with excellent clav and organ that could be split is the hammond SK1. Another is the Kurzweil PC3 series which has come along way from the SP88 that you had. A $1000 budget is restrictive for your requirements.

Also, setting up a keyboard to access another keyboard's sounds via MIDI and loading another keyboard's sounds as samples into a keyboard are mutually exclusive, i.e. one has nothing to do with the other. Spending a few minutes reading this and you'll understand why.

http://tweakheadz.com/how-to-get-st...oncepts-for-building-a-home-recording-studio/

Last edited:

Ask a Question