Stage Piano Thoughts - Roland FP-7F, Kawai ES6, Yamaha CP1, others...

Reaction score
Hi all -

I currently have a Yamaha P-140, which I bought in 2005. It has a nice sound to it, and pretty good action. However, I am looking to move up to a better stage piano, particularly one with more realistic action.

I'm looking at top stage pianos that are hopefully not too heavy (even at 40 pounds, the P-140 is on the heavier side), have great action, and are really focused on the sound and feel more than all sorts of sounds and features...

THOUGHTS ON ANY OF THESE THREE OR ANY OTHERS WOULD BE VERY WELCOME! Thanks!
- Roland FP-7F: a nice keyboard with a lot of options for adjusting action, cabinet resonance, touch sensitivity, etc. Although it has a little bit of a less bright/rich sound than I'd like, this is something that can be adjusted. (53 pounds)
- Kawai ES6: I haven't gotten to play this yet, but it seems intriguing and like a quality possibility. (47 pounds)
- Yamaha CP1: this is supposed to be the best of the CP series with realistic action. It has some of the same options for adjusting feel/sound that the Roland FP-7F does. It's quite heavy though. (59 pounds)

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Roland FP-7F - just under £1500
Kawai ES6 - just over £1000
Yamaha CP1 - just under £4000

Here's the Sound On Sound review of the Yamaha by Robin Bigwood - I don't recognise his name as one of the reviewers I am familiar with but it's a good publication

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun10/articles/yamahacp1.htm

Are you going to gig with whatever you buy?

How important are built in speakers to you?

Reaction score
Hi there -

Thanks very much for your response and the link you gave. I am mostly going to be gigging with the keyboard I buy. (I have a grand piano at home.) Built-in speakers are great but not crucial.

Reaction score
Ok - try a Casio PX-3 on the sturdiest stand the shop has - you may be surprised how good it is. It's also very lightweight despite the weighted keys - easy to get in and out of venues.

If you're playing well paid gigs and the look is important - and you've roadies or crew to set-up/take down, post back.

Reaction score
OK it seems that NORD seeems to be the way to go for a stage piano (and thern some) but where can I get a good one secopndhand please? I haven't seen any on EBAY for a good while? Any suggestions Please? WelshPhil

Reaction score
To be honest, it's very subjective, try one out first.

The Nord Stage 88 is a very nice piece of kit, but if you sit it next to some much older, much cheaper units, you may not be quite so impressed. Phil, given your location I'd head down to Dawsons in Chester and try a few out before getting the credit card out.

I still rate the Kawai MP9000 and some aspects of the Roland A90 over the Nord. Both of which can be had much cheaper, but the Nord is red. So it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

Reaction score
In fact, I'm not casting aspersions but three of the posts above are from similar accounts, 1 post, all advertising products in their signature, just seems a bit odd.

Reaction score
Dear Ootini - thanks I will try to do that asap. Do you know if Dawsons have the Kawai for example? Or can they get one in for me to try? Last time I was in there I ended up buying a 2nd hand Tyros 2 for about £1100. Its great as a base and primary instrument with all the backing tracks,. styles, and great piano and electric piano sounds etc but it's not a true Stage Piano and definitely a Yamaha if you see what I mean. I have a Fatar Studio 900 MIDI 88note keyboard (which is great feel and touch of course) driving either/both a Roland JV1010 and Roland JV1080 modules with all the pianos and EPs etc that each MIDI sound module has within it! So that is great but NOT good for taking about and gigging etc. Any suggestions on that side of things please,my friend? Also BTW perhaps we can meet for a beer and chat ? Any ideas? drop me an email or call me on 078751 234981. Cheers. Phil

Reaction score
It's unlikely they'll have a Kawai in as I think they're discontinued, you'd just have to get lucky and find a second hand one in a shop somewhere. They may well have the Nord in and possibly the Korg high end synth and workstations.
Meeting for a pint sounds like a plan, I'll give you a bell soon when I know when I'd be free!

Reaction score
Great! Thanks mate! Where are you actually? I am staying in Connahs Quay Deeside, but come over to Bramhall/Cheadle Hulme area to meet and play with my long-time friend and guitarist there. Are you anywhere near that area? Phil

Reaction score
Dear Ootini - I used to live in Conwy (but getting divorced at present hence the ocation in Connahs Quay!) and pop into Llandudno each weekend with my daughter aged 10 !!

Lets grab a beer (say) on a Friday evening perhaps or maybe, if you are gigging, I could come and see you and buy you a beer then? Thoughts? Phil

Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, to be fair my band tend to play outside of the local area, we're playing The Borderline Club in Soho, London at the end of the month, then looking at gigs around the Sheffield, Manchester, Liverpool region after that, maybe even Leeds, not played there before.

But yes a pint and a chat about nerdy keyboard stuff sounds like a plan!

Reaction score
I am mostly going to be gigging with the keyboard I buy. (I have a grand piano at home.) Built-in speakers are great but not crucial.

The Y_man

Reaction score
In fact, I'm not casting aspersions but three of the posts above are from similar accounts, 1 post, all advertising products in their signature, just seems a bit odd.

Well picked Ootini - 2 of them at least a sock puppets according to the IP.

I'm deleteing.

Thanks

The Y-man

Ask a Question