Stand alone Soft synths and effects

Reaction score
playing a Roland RD300NX DP. I need advice on two issues from someone please.
I would like to be able to play my XLN ADK on stage through the RD via a small footprint tablet. Can somebody suggest a small tablet strong enough to handle the task without latency, clicks or pops? I would also like to use a good Leslie mod in real time as well if someone has a suggestion. I have Meldsproductions 'Vintage rotary' which is great in the DAW but I'm not sure if it can be used as a stand alone be product. I also have a gain staging issue that I'll open another post for.
Thanks guys!

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
For a tablet, I'm using a Dell Venue Pro with an i5 processor running Windows 10, hot-rodded with a half a terabyte SSD. It (obviously) runs Windows software. I'd start off deciding what software you want to run, and that will limit your search for a tablet.

(I can't find my tablet on their web site any more. They may have stopped selling it.)

Here's PC Magazine's list of the best Windows tablets: http://www.pcmag.com/roundup/310159/the-best-windows-tablets

One problem with tablets as sound generators is that you're either stuck with whatever they put inside the box or you'll have to find a good audio solution that plugs into a USB port.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
One problem I ran into with my old HP Windows tablet was that it was Windows 8-- the current version back when I bought it-- then I thoughtlessly updated it to Windows 8.1, and then to Windows 10. When I updated it to 8.1 I began to notice some intermittent issues with the touch screen, which I chalked up to it being an inexpensive tablet. But when I updated it to Windows 10 the touch screen stopped working more or less all the time; on rare occasions it would work for a little while, then stop working the next time I woke it up or turned it on. At that point I finally started to look for an answer to the issue-- after the warranty period had expired, naturally-- only to discover that it's an issue with the touch screen's driver; the original driver was designed for Windows 8 and worked great, but it was flaky under Windows 8.1, and completely inadequate under Windows 10. I can't find a driver that works under Windows 10, so now the only way I can use my tablet at all is with a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse (which I was able to connect to on a rare occasion when the touch screen was working), like a glorified mini-laptop. :(

The reason I mention this is because you can find a lot of deals on inexpensive Windows tablets, but a great many of them have Windows 8 or 8.1 installed, and I would recommend being cautious about buying one of those in case there are any driver-related issues when updating the OS. If you get a Windows 8 or 8.1 tablet, you might want to do whatever you need to do to prevent it from updating itself automatically, such as turning off its WiFi. In fact, if you're going to use the tablet for running virtual instruments, you'll probably want to turn off the WiFi anyway, as well as strip down the programs and services that run in the background, to avoid spending any CPU time on stuff that you don't want or need while you're playing, or having your tablet update itself and restart during a performance, etc.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
One problem I ran into with my old HP Windows tablet was that it was Windows 8-- the current version back when I bought it-- then I thoughtlessly updated it to Windows 8.1, and then to Windows 10.

On the other hand, my Dell updated from 8 through 8.1 to 10 without a hitch. All of the tablets on the PC Magazine list are running Windows 10, so that issue shouldn't happen again.

Shouldn't.

With Microsoft, you never can tell.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I blame HP more than Microsoft, because HP should have an updated driver to correct this issue and should have it readily available for free download on their web site, but they don't-- despite numerous threads from disgruntled users about this exact issue in their Support area.

Reaction score
Thanks much, I've been using XLN's ADK for some time recording, and have enjoyed the effects from meldaproductions 'Vintage Rotary' but only inside my DAW, (Splat). Not even real sure it will run as a standalone effect but I should be able to route through Sonar live, I have done this before with a bulky laptop with an I7 processor. I just don't want to end up under powered going to a tablet. And I don't have available funds for an upper end product.
As far as OS driver comparability, a recent Dell automatic update I lost major functionality with most standard features of my MOTU interface, (main outs were no longer recognized, GUI trims reset to off each time brought up the image, focus tabs inoperable, etc) Another recent update found my main outs again but a host of other issues remain. And Win 10 was the original platform. A tablet that could run Sonar, and ADK , ...well if it will run Sonar I wouldn't need the standalone software anyway. I would love to know how to toggle the voices from my RD300 so I really wouldn't even need to acces the tablet, laptop at all. Just load it and let it run?.. thanks again for your response and well taken advice!
Thanks,
Keith

Reaction score
Thanks Row, nice list!
I was aiming more for a tablet that somebody may have experience with running softsynths live off of.
An impressive lineup of products nonetheless!!

Ask a Question