Steinberg SMP 24 & Cubase Audio Falcon v2.06 + Red Dongle

Reaction score
Hi, my first post here after following up on a Google result. I am a Atari Falcon 030 owner and long time Cubase user, and I have recently bought a Steinberg SMP 24 MIDI interface. The result from Google that brought me here is https://www.keyboardforums.com/atari-falcon-seeking-smp-24-manual-t6319.html

This person says it is a no brainer to get Cubase Audio working with the SMP 24, but so far I have failed; I can however get the SMP 24 to work fine with the ancient Steinberg Pro 24 sequencer. So far I have only tried the SMP24.DRV file from the MROS folder of the ST version of Cubase v2.0; The Falcon Cubase Audio v2.06 does not have a driver that I can see. I have also tried more updated versions of the main MROS driver too, but I still keep getting an error message on the SMP 24 front display, and greyed out entries inside Cubase of the four MIDI outputs and two inputs.

I do not have a user manual or experience of using the SMP 24 with Cubase, so any help is very appreciated!

Reaction score
Former Atari user here. 1040ste - 4 MB Ram - 500 MB external hard drive. Had a little sampler that got (the little studio we used it in) access to about 40 secs of stereo audio.

We went to ADATs and then to ProTools and now I'm back to a basic version of Cubase on an old PC running XP.

IMO you're flogging a dead horse if you're chasing MIDI+Audio. Put your Atari out to pasture - or just use it for MIDI. My Atari was really stable for MIDI - and I gigged with it at one point in the late 80s/early 90s.

Ask a Question