Stepping up from Tyros 5 to Genos2.

Reaction score
I've already succumbed to the raves and hype of the Yamaha Genos2 and made my purchase about a month ago. Once I get comfortable with the Genos2's learning curve, it's my intention to replace my Tyros 5/76 with this supposedly marvelous instrument.

So, I'm curious what others think about making this very same transition from the Tyros 5. Do you think the Genos2 has noticeable improvements, such as: Its overall features? Its variety of voices and styles? The layout of Its operational controls? Its sound quality?

Bottom line, are you content with your decision to step up from the Tyros to the Genos?

Reaction score
I have a Tyros 5. The biggest advancement, functionally, is probably the chord looper, and its ability to store chord progressions and use them to drive the style. However... I'm not sure whether I would make use of it. I feel like it's the first step on a slippery slope toward playing over a recorded MIDI.

Yes I know that style patterns are pre-recorded sequences. But by entering the chords in real time, you're still "playing live," at least in a sense. Hopefully others will chime in. Please let us know what you think after you've been playing the Genos for a few weeks.

Reaction score
On the Genos 2 are the Chord Sequences switchable?

They certainly are on my Korg, where I am slowly adding them, but not using them as yet, but maybe when my left hand arthritis gets worst then I will.

So do check up if the Chord Sequence in a Genos 2 is saved with the Registration and that it is also switchable.

Reaction score
On the Genos 2 are the Chord Sequences switchable?

They certainly are on my Korg, where I am slowly adding them, but not using them as yet, but maybe when my left hand arthritis gets worst then I will.

So do check up if the Chord Sequence in a Genos 2 is saved with the Registration and that it is also switchable.
That, I don't know as of yet and that's a good question. But, I'm not really sure that I'd be taking advantage of such a feature. Like TedS said above, it would be one more thing that would be included into the already packed elements within a registration. I don't want to get to the point where my keyboard becomes a karaoke machine that I'm merely playing along with (if that makes any sense).

Reaction score
That, I don't know as of yet and that's a good question. But, I'm not really sure that I'd be taking advantage of such a feature. Like TedS said above, it would be one more thing that would be included into the already packed elements within a registration. I don't want to get to the point where my keyboard becomes a karaoke machine that I'm merely playing along with (if that makes any sense).
Yes that does make sense.

Just because the chord sequence is programmed one does not need to use it.

On other forums Tyros users have not necessarily taken to the Genos 2, the opposite in fact a significant number of buyers seem to have returned them.

Buy a Genos 2 by all means but do keep hold of your Tyros.

For what it is worth I tried a Genos 2 right alongside a Korg Pa5X, it was a no contest.

Reaction score
That's what I did too.
I am keeping my PSR SX700, as it is an excellent keyboard.
I too tried a Genos 2 and the Pa5X. For me, price wasn't the issue. I considered an original Genos 1, but the Pa5X is just amazing.

I still think that had the G2 been built as well as the previous Tyros models, it would maybe have been a more difficult choice, but
the build quality and features of the Pa5X, in my opinion, knock the G2 out of the park.
It's just a much more Professional quality keyboard with incredible potential.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks for all of your inputs. Yes, the likelihood of hanging onto the Tyros definitely exists. (I'm not exactly sure where I'm going to arrange both of these keyboards within my rack set-up since the Genos has already taken its place where my Tyros once resided.)

One of my initial observations is that the Genos2 appears to be simpler in its operation due to its fewer operational buttons than the Tyros 5. However, that means that in order to access a specific Genos2 feature, I have to "menu my way" into finding it. (i.e., style categories, voice patch categories, Music Finder, etc.) Not a deal-breaker, but noticeably more inconvenient.

Reaction score
One supposed advantage of the Genos, is that as an end-user you can customize the function of certain buttons and on-screen layout. I suppose the idea is that you would set it up for whichever functions you routinely use. So the fact that there are fewer buttons isn't really a handicap.

Some players discovered the potential of the chord looper and say it's a game-changer. But considering the cash I would have to add if I were to trade my Tyros 5 against a Genos 2, I'm happy keeping what i have for the time being.

Reaction score
I've already succumbed to the raves and hype of the Yamaha Genos2 and made my purchase about a month ago. Once I get comfortable with the Genos2's learning curve, it's my intention to replace my Tyros 5/76 with this supposedly marvelous instrument.

So, I'm curious what others think about making this very same transition from the Tyros 5. Do you think the Genos2 has noticeable improvements, such as: Its overall features? Its variety of voices and styles? The layout of Its operational controls? Its sound quality?

Bottom line, are you content with your decision to step up from the Tyros to the Genos?
For your information, Geno's has 58 gb of memory, compared to 15 gb for Geno's 2. A used Geno's might be a better buy if you don't need the new styles. Most of the new styles are for new genres that I don't play.

Reaction score

I bought a G2 it has good points and bad ones I really don't like. One major disappointment is that it has no SST (or SSS as Yamaha call it - seamless sound switching) seamless sound transition. Not only that but if you play and hold down a key and change voice, the held down key's voice suddenly goes up in volume and this is very unpleasant to the ear. I didn't know about this, if I knew I wouldn't have bought it. My problem was that Korg or Ketron are not represented in my country so I only had one choice. But after learning about the SST I was now willing to take the risk and bring either the PA5X or the Event or EventX from Germany.

A good point the G2 has (I believe not available in the G1) is that the registration stores the MIDI Settings. So each Registration you memorise will store all midi settings and it does this individually for each Registration in a bank. This feature I asked for before I bought it and because I started using MIDI a lot it really did help me. There again I learned that the PA5X and the Event does this also.

I'm quite happy with the keyboard touch but have heard that the PA5X is better. This I don't know about. I never had a Tyros so I cannot comment on that.

Hope I helped someone here before they commit themselves in buying.

Reaction score
I bought a G2 it has good points and bad ones I really don't like. One major disappointment is that it has no SST (or SSS as Yamaha call it - seamless sound switching) seamless sound transition. Not only that but if you play and hold down a key and change voice, the held down key's voice suddenly goes up in volume and this is very unpleasant to the ear. I didn't know about this, if I knew I wouldn't have bought it. My problem was that Korg or Ketron are not represented in my country so I only had one choice. But after learning about the SST I was now willing to take the risk and bring either the PA5X or the Event or EventX from Germany.

A good point the G2 has (I believe not available in the G1) is that the registration stores the MIDI Settings. So each Registration you memorise will store all midi settings and it does this individually for each Registration in a bank. This feature I asked for before I bought it and because I started using MIDI a lot it really did help me. There again I learned that the PA5X and the Event does this also.

I'm quite happy with the keyboard touch but have heard that the PA5X is better. This I don't know about. I never had a Tyros so I cannot comment on that.

Hope I helped someone here before they commit themselves in buying.
I have a 5X and it is vastly better than a Genos2, the latest update adds extra features and Styles and Sounds.

The SST works brilliantly.

The standard Keyboard Sets (sound combinations) are superb and IMO much better than the screeching G2 sounds.

At last the Korg Acoustic Piano sounds are better than those in the G2 and where in a Yamaha there are often only one prime Acoustic Piano in a 5X there are 5 prime ones to chose from and 56 in total in OS 1.2 which is what I am still using.

The semi weighted keybed (with aftertouch) is vastly better than on other Pa models

So go for it

Ask a Question