Stevie Wonder's approach/technique

Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone provide any resource for learning Stevie Wonder's technique. I have a few transcription books - but they don't seem that accurate (or maybe Im playing them wrong :))
I mean I recognize the songs - but the keyboard bits seem to be simplified.
Are there any funky piano players there - if so it would be great to hear some pointers/tips

Mark.

Reaction score
I don't know if it's of any help, but I was trying to jam along with Stevie's performance at Glasto the other week. At first, I though he was playing in some really weird keys, but then I realised that they were the ones with lots of black notes in them - which kinda makes sense for a blind guy, I suppose.

Reaction score
I don't know if it's of any help, but I was trying to jam along with Stevie's performance at Glasto the other week. At first, I though he was playing in some really weird keys, but then I realised that they were the ones with lots of black notes in them - which kinda makes sense for a blind guy, I suppose.

Not being funny, but why would playing in keys with lots of black notes be easier for a blind person? I'm just curious to know what your reasoning is.

Reaction score
Maybe more of a Black Church thing... I've played in lots of black "sanctified" churches, and in some, EVERYTHING is played in Db, Ab, Ebm, Gb hexatonic, etc.no matter what the original key was.
I even met some guys that would transpose everything TO Db or Ab.

Reaction score
I think the best way to learn Stevie's style is listening to his records, e.g., key choice, voicing choice, etc, and or watching him in videos where you can see his hands. Indeed, he plays a lot in Eb and Db, lots of black keys.

Reaction score
thanks for all your help guys. Yes Blueser I noted the same thing about the keys. I get locked in Eb sadly but I do see a lot of players use Db and B major keys. I've been told they sound more 'bluesy' although I reckon it must be something about being able to crunch down from the black keys to the white ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhsmith451

Latest Threads