Sticking keys! Help!

Reaction score
I play a Yamaha S90ES and have keys that are sticking down after being struck. Anybody have any solutions? I have gigs coming up and need to fix this. Bad enough for piano sounds but impossible with sustain notes (organ, strings). I've tried opening it up. I couldn't figure out how to access the inner workings of the key action mechanism, but could see there metal rods that act as a counter weight to the downward pressure of the key, and when they drop are supposed to cause the key to pop back up again. I tried taping a wood screw on top of the metal rod for the key to add more weight. It changed the feel of the action, but for a while at least made it pop back up again. But, last night some keys were sticking again. Might be weather related, maybe worse with heat, humidity. Last night (outdoors) was cold and damp. WD40?

Why is it that malfunctions happen on gigs and not so much at other times? Do I need to replace my keyboard? Sending it to the shop would be expensive and would be unavailable for weeks. Like most of the keyboard sounds but dislike some other features of my keyboard.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Not sure how different my action mechanism is from other weighted key keyboards.

Reaction score
NEVER but NEVER WD40 or similar oilbased products!!! It will ruin the keyboard forever.
I had more or less success with some talcumpowder between and under the bandit keys where they touch other parts.
Talcumpowder works as a lubricant.

Reaction score
NEVER but NEVER WD40 or similar oilbased products!!! It will ruin the keyboard forever.
I had more or less success with some talcumpowder between and under the bandit keys where they touch other parts.
Talcumpowder works as a lubricant.
Thanks for your quick response, Dick. A non musician friend suggested the WD40. I thought it sounded like maybe a bad idea. I would never have used it without some reasonable assurance it would work. I might try the talcum powder but am not sure I could get it into the exact spot where it would do some good, which is, I'm assuming the pivot/rocking point of moving parts where the key moves up and down. Couldn't find how to open it up to to access the key mechanism Maybe just dusting as best I can in between those keys. Does your key mechanism sound similar? Could you access the mechanism under the keys?

Someone suggested some sort of desiccant or way of keeping it dry. They suggested keeping a towel over the keys when not using to keep dust, moisture out for prevention. Whatever I do has to solve the problem, and not have it come up unexpectedly at a gig.

Reaction score
I have different keyboards than yours and the 'keymoving technique' is most likely different. Opening them in my case is quite easy. Since you live in CA it is not difficult to get a can with compressed air (camera-shops do have them). Try that to CAREFULLY blow possible dust away. Or use a vacuum-cleaner to 'suck' out dust if that is the problem.
I used ones a simple drinking straw to blow a minimal amount of talcum-powder (footpowder, babypowder) between sticking keys and never had the problem again. I was lucky I suppose but advised it a few time on various fora.
ALWAYS cover your keyboard when not in use against dust or damp.

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the good suggestions which I will try, and will now cover my keyboard when not using. Just set up my keyboard again in my apartment and the keys seem to be working fine. Wish I knew what causes the sticking.

Reaction score
I spoke with a guy who repairs keyboards in my area and he told me that the S90ES (or S90's?) has issues with the glue used on the felts. It breaks down with time, weather conditions and creates the problem. It would mean replacing all the felts, with new glue and would cost 3 - 400 dollars to fix. He suggested replacing the keyboard. He said that Roland has the same glue issues with keyboard made at that time with the same glue. Apparently, as of about 5 years ago they found a better, more stable glue. Hope this helps anyone else out there with this issue.

Not what I wanted to hear but I'm now looking for a replacement.

Reaction score
I will be trying some temp fixes in the meantime, maybe those suggested above, or might try adding some solder to the metal rods for the counter weight.

I may be offering this keyboard, otherwise in good condition, for a low price to anyone wanting to fix it themselves.

Reaction score
Mine did the same, after a good clean up inside though, no more problems...here's a video to help you open it the right way:
or a video to show you how to safely remove the keys:
Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion and the videos. Looks like they're from youtube (didn't think to look).

If I can clean it out myself and get the keys working it would save a lot of money. Another keyboard repair business in LA (N. Hollywood) thought (before checking it out in person) that the bad glue theory I mentioned above isn't really the cause of the problem. Said that Yamaha is/was offering a free fix for some of the models during that time due to a faulty (something, forget what he called it), but after checking my serial # said mine doesn't fall into the ones eligible for the free fix.

How did you clean it? Did you do it yourself or have it done? Did you or the repair person blow it out with compressed air, or?

Reaction score
You can do it yourself, watch the videos, the first one you could actually follow step by step and you wont be taking any
risk of damaging your keyboard! To clean mine, I had no choice to use a vacuum since a shaker had exploded on my keyboard during a show and there were unaccesible little beads under the keys, in your case just make sure nothing is already loose in there lol that you would not want aspirated before you start, you could clean with a slightly moist chiffon (dont want no liquid running in there-make sure it dries up) at the same time when its open, you'll have the chance to see the mecanism of the keys, checking out that sticky one, compare it to a well functionning one, try to see or feel in the action whats different...then 2nd video might be handy if you want to replace a key! If you have a partner or a friend that can help you that would be great for the opening part of the keyboard so you'll each have a side to lift up at the same time rather than one at a time which is forcing the top panel! Ok have fun with this, it's super interesting and you'll gain the confidence to do it yourself the next time!

Ask a Question