Strange behaviour PSR 3000

Reaction score
Hallo, everybody, nowadays it came to me that I have to make some MIDI files on the good old portable keyboard "Yamaha PSR 3000".
As I spent some time in trying to learn the keyboard, noticed some strange behaviour.
Playing the factory music styles, I was surprised some of them were missing the drum part, (actually 3 of them - waltz, polka and one more ), all other styles sounded as expected, with all parts in. First thing I've done was to reset the factory settings, exactly as the manual sais, but no change at all. Any suggestions what could be the reason for the missing drums of waltz , polka... ? And how to avoid this ? Any ideas will be appreciated. Probably damage in the internal memory ? Thanx for reading this................L.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
In Standard MIDI channel 10 is reserved for drums and percussion.

You'll have to record Channel 10 in your MIDI along with any other backing tracks in your song.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It might be that those particular styles don't have any percussion tracks. Have you looked in the manual to see if it says anything about those styles? It seems odd that all the other styles work okay. If you need a waltz or polka style that has drums, there are a lot of free style files available on the internet.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
By the way, Yamaha keyboard's have a test mode you could try. I'll check later to see if the service manual is available with instructions on how to run the test mode.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
The service manual is available from ElektroTanya:

http://elektrotanya.com/?q=showresult&what=Yamaha "PSR-3000"&kategoria=&kat2=all

To access the test mode, turn off the keyboard, then hold down a C# Major chord in the second octave (C#2+F2+G#2) while turning on the keyboard. There are a number of tests, including a test of the ROM. The instructions for using the test mode are on pages 60 to 65 of the service manual.

Also, since the keyboard has a style creator feature, you could try pulling up the three styles in the style creator to see what the two rhythm tracks look like. Yamaha uses channels 9 and 10 for rhythm.

Ask a Question