Strange noises from some keys on Yamaha P-140, need help

Reaction score
Hello,

I just acquired a used Yamaha P-140 -- a few of the keys in some of the instrument modes give off loud, weird beeping sounds. Video example below. It is repeatable for each instrument, though some keys may be different between instruments, and some instruments don't have show problems. I haven't tried all instruments yet. Anybody have any recommendations on what to do? This is my first keyboard and can use help....Thanks!

-Alan

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It doesn't sound like something you can fix yourself.

Take it back to whomever sold it to you and demand your money back.

Either that or else face a $200 repair bill from a Keyboard Tech.

Gary

Reaction score
If that was my keyboard I'd open it up and remove the battery for about a minute, then re-install it. That may force it to reload it's system off a rom chip. I don't know with that keyboard, but I've fixed more than one Korg and an E-Mu in the past with that method.

Reaction score
In fact, I bought a Vintage Keys on Ebay once as being broken for about $25. I already owned 2 of them and though it was worth it just for the parts. But first I tried re-setting the battery, and it fixed it entirely.

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. I opened up the unit tonight, there appears to be no battery of any sort, just the DC converter. I get the same weird sounds whether coming from the integrated speakers or the headphones, and because some instrument voices work perfectly, this leads me to believe the problem is in the main logic board and not the speakers or keys. Perhaps I can try to find a replacement logic board somewhere?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Before you go exchanging parts, a couple of things to check.

Does it allow you to perform a factory reset on the keyboard?

Are all controllers zeroed?

Is there an updated firmware you could install or reinstall?

Gary

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for the ideas.

I got my hands on the service/repair manual, and tried the factory reset with no luck. It had no mention of updating firmware or zeroing controllers. I did do a diagnostic test which indicated that the Master ROM had failed. So I've ordered another ROM chip and it's on its way...now I just need to find somebody who can swap it out for me.

We'll see how this goes!

Reaction score
If the master ROM chip failed diagnostics then it is likely that the previous owner was having the same problem. Was this disclosed in the advertisement? I'd be beating his/her door down ..

Reaction score
Update: swapped in the new Master ROM chip -- everything is working great now! Total cost: $25 for the repair manual, $40 for the ROM chip, and another $40 to get it put in. So about 100 bucks total; I imagine my local instrument repair shop would have charged me much more! The original owner did pay me back 50 dollars when I mentioned the problem to him, so you can say we split the repair costs.

Thanks all for the ideas, was a good learning experience!

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That's great news, Alan! That diagnostic test came in pretty handy, and it was nice of the previous owner to give you a $50 refund.

Reaction score
Update: swapped in the new Master ROM chip -- everything is working great now! Total cost: $25 for the repair manual, $40 for the ROM chip, and another $40 to get it put in. So about 100 bucks total; I imagine my local instrument repair shop would have charged me much more! The original owner did pay me back 50 dollars when I mentioned the problem to him, so you can say we split the repair costs.

Thanks all for the ideas, was a good learning experience!

Hi Zumi,
we got the same problem with that strange noise. Do you remember, where you got that ROM chip from?
Thanks, Florian

Ask a Question