Studio Monitors for Keyboards

Reaction score
I often hear that the normal speakers (2.1) are not enough for the keyboards/synthesizers.
People often recommend studio monitors for the audio output from keyboards. They say that it produce a flat frequency range..
Is this really needed for my korg synthesizer?
or
can I connect my speaker "creative inspire t6060" to my korg kross synthesizer?

I hope this question is related to keyboards....

Last edited:

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Speakers are like anything else in Audio.

You get what you pay for.

A good set of Altec or Logitech gaming speakers will reproduce the same frequency range as a comparable set of audiophile stereo speakers or studio monitors.

It all depends on how picky you are, how much color you want in your bass and tweeter response and what type of music you wish to listen to.

For most people a set of mid range studio monitors in the $200 to $500 class will produce an extremely flat frequency response for most of the spectrum, but if you enjoy deep booming bass notes then you will still need to add a powered subwoofer to the mix.

Then again, if you purchase, let's say, a $100 pair of low end monitors from M-Audio like the AV32 model, while they still produce a decent sound, they are still comparable to say a Logitech Z263 2.1 computer speaker without the subwoofer.

My advice, if you're starting out, is to buy a set of good quality computer speakers and the proper adapter connectors/cables and hook it up to the LINE OUTS on your Korg to get you started. You don't have to go crazy. $100 to $200 range will get you some kickass speakers.

Should you decide you want better sound over the long run you could always upgrade to a set of Nearfield Monitors and appropriate subwoofer as time and money permit.

In the meantime, however, there's no urgent need for you to blow $1000 on speakers when you're just starting out.

Just to clarify, Computer Speakers and Home Stereo Equipment in general, are 100% electrically and acoustically compatible with keyboard instruments.

They all operate at line input levels and they are optimized for listening to music across the full range of human hearing.

What it ultimately boils down to is what the listener deems as acceptable quality for listening to his particular style of music. I'm not going to presume to tell you what style of music you should listen to.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
To make the connection to your Creative speakers you will require this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-YMP-434-Stereo-Breakout-Cable/dp/B0010D0HO

41TqZkoOt-L.jpg

Use it without worry.

It will work just fine :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I don't understand why you are strapping a saddle on a duck and calling it a horse?

That's a guitar amp. It lacks both the frequency response and the dynamic range of a keyboard amp and won't even accept a line level input without a kludge.

You may not damage it but it will sound like crap when for the same money you could simply pick up a comparable wattage keyboard amp.

If you're trying to save money by doubling it up for guitar and keys then I'd suggest you invest in a PA and some powered speakers instead.

If your only concern is that it's American Made then may Jeebus have mercy on your soul :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I've always been weary of Behringer gear, but they've stepped up their game in the past few years, and their Nearfield speakers are actually pretty good. I got the Truth 3030A on recommendation from some Genelec heads and was surprisingly impressed. Unfortunately it looks like they've discontinued that particular model, but I would guess they new models that are pretty similar.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I owned a Behringer 1202FX Mixer that served me well for about 5 years until a couple of the input channels blew out and it wasn't worth the repair.

When I originally ordered it the first one arrived DOA and was immediately replaced but the story I got from the vendor was that Behringer products are somewhat hit or miss but overall still one of the best values for money on the market.

Nowadays I've replaced the mixer with a Yamaha MG16XU that set me back a load but I got smart this time and sprang for the 4 year extended warranty.

I also own a Behringer K450FX 45 Watt keyboard amp that's been working for me now well over 10 years and still going strong.

Top those off with a couple of Behringer FX pedals, one a Leslie simulator and the other a Multi-FX unit, which though made of plastic have been remarkably durable for the past few years.

(EDIT) Also one $20 Behringer DI box I picked up a couple of years ago that effectively solved my hum problems connecting to a new PC. No problems with that one either.

The upshot is that the vendor was indeed correct. The quality IS hit or miss, but if they survive infant mortality they will function flawlessly for years to come.

That's my take on Behringer...

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I haven't bought anything of there's in a long time, but by the reports I'm hearing, Behringer have come a long way in the last 10 years or so, and are no longer the "hit or miss" company they used to be. For one, they've been buying out and hiring up some legitimately great people for a while now, and they're quality control sounds like it's improved greatly. They still carry a lot of legacy products, so it may be hit or miss for the older kit, but I get the feeling they're really making strides to become legit. Reminds me of Casio during the 00s, I made the mistake of recommending a Yamaha electric grand over Casio partly because of my association with them from way back... now I feel bad, I got the try the comparable Casio board later and it sounded FAR better.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm curious if you're hearing about any quality control issues with their new Deepmind 12?

It's been available for half a year now and I stopped following all the hype when I bought the Studiologic Sledge.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
that's ezac
You'll notice that the one suggested had two quarter inch monophonic jacks. Yours has one quarter inch stereo jack. That's not the same thing.
that is exactly what I am asking...two quarter inch goes to keyboard l and r...and one goes to speaker...so a stereo signal gets converted into a mono output...why not use a single mono to single mono connection...

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
that's ezac
that is exactly what I am asking...two quarter inch goes to keyboard l and r...and one goes to speaker...so a stereo signal gets converted into a mono output...why not use a single mono to single mono connection...

Look, I'm getting tired of explaining every little detail to you.

If you can't figure out how to connect a stereo breakout cable then I suggest you take up knitting instead.

I already said you connect the LINE OUTS on your keyboard to the 3.5mm JACK on your speakers.

Why don't you just trust us instead of asking for a detailed schematic for every single piece of advice?

Gary :mad:

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score

So you can look inside the female connector and see that it's a mono connection? You've got better eyes than I, who had assumed that it was a stereo female connector. One side of which would go to one of the quarter inch jacks, and the other side of which would go to the other quarter inch jack.

But I'm old, so my assumption and my eye sight might be wrong.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Don't waste your time Fred. He's obviously trolling us.

Anyone as clueless as he claims to be should sell his keyboard and take up knitting :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Ask a Question