Studiologic Acuna 73 key noise - can I fix it with "dampeners"?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and in general to the keyboard world, in fact I can hardly play anything :p I play guitar but wanted to give keyboard a shot.
So, I initially bought a cheap M-Audio, learned a few tunes, then I played a friend of mine's Yamaha Clavinova and was blown away by the feel of weighted keys! Hence I decided to look into a secondhand weighted controller, and found a Studiologic Acuna 73.
Well, at first I hated it. I had read reviews, and not one of them mentioned that the key noise is awful! I mean, keys make a heavy thump both when they go down and when they sling back up, it is so annoying! I mean, I can hear that even using closed back headphones, set pretty loud too!
So, my first thought were to sell it right away. But I must admit that when keys don't slam to the bottom and - particular - to the top the feeling is pleasant.
So here comes the question: do there exist things like "dampening strips" that one can place underneath the keys or above the keys to ammortize the thump? The way the Acuna case it's built (metal panels that could be removed) make it look as if it wouldn't be so hard to open and insert such strips.
Thanks so much for any help!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You can buy one sided felt tape made for use in pianos but you may have to order it in from China.

http://feltok.en.alibaba.com/product/533296205-212257095/Piano_Felt_Bridle_Tape_Rope_.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/cheap/cheap-felt-strips.html

Modding a keyboard is not for the faint of heart though.

If you do not know what you are doing you could easily render the instrument totally unplayable and unfixable.

Study a few youtube videos on keyboard mods and keyboard repair before you go ahead with it.

Also your Acuna probably already has some sort of built in dampening system which may be worn out and requires replacement with a specific part number.

Do your research first!

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi Gary, thanks for your reply!
Well, then I guess I am not faint of heart, as I already opened it :p
As I said before, I am lucky that the metal casing really makes it ideal to open: I unscrewed the sides, then the upper panel just bends backwards and stays upright, really well done. Inside there is really nothing complicated, everything is superneat, and there's plenty of room to work.
As you say, there are already dampening strips. However, they're dense and rigid, hence impact still produces this heavy thump. I have found a cushion cover in thin polar fleece, and the material seems to be perfect for the task: being a porous material, it allows the mallets to go back to their resting position, but still it does attenuate the impact nicely. It was much easier than I thought it would!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem with using a fleece material is that it may end up falling apart under use and clogging your keyboard with all kinds of nasty lint and dust bunnies.

I'd recommend using a proper piano felt or nothing at all.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well, now it's done :p I mean, I do appreciate the advise of course! I will open it up periodically to check how the fleece is holding.
I must say that I am very satisfied with the result. I put two layers of fleece (again, it's quite thin and soft, so it really doesn't impact in any visible way the mallets at rest) on the bottom and one on the "ceiling". It got sooo much better :D

Ask a Question