Stupid me, LCD and rubbing alcohol

Reaction score
Can my lcd be fixed? I made a huge mistake of cleaning my lcd with rubbing alcohol and now it displays nothing

From nothing to completely normal after 2hours to nothing again after 24 hours

Now its completely blank, the backlights are working but no characters at all

Parts are hard to get here in the philippines

The lcd in the roland juno d is part of the board I dont think its replaceable with 20x2 lcd screens

This is my first board and it means a lot to me

Is it fixeable/repairable?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• received_1330107154418897.jpeg
    received_1330107154418897.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Anything is repairable the rub is at what cost.

Probably need a new LCD fitted and one could be sourced from a supplier in the USA.

I have not opened up a Juno but members here have either had them or have them so if you give it time for them to respond.

Suggestions will probably be DIY but if you are not confident to source and replace the panel yourself then a Service Centre is your next port of call but do obtain a cost first from any you approach.

If it is an old board you may find buying a new keyboard more cost effective.

Reaction score
Anything is repairable the rub is at what cost.

Probably need a new LCD fitted and one could be sourced from a supplier in the USA.

I have not opened up a Juno but members here have either had them or have them so if you give it time for them to respond.

Suggestions will probably be DIY but if you are not confident to source and replace the panel yourself then a Service Centre is your next port of call but do obtain a cost first from any you approach.

If it is an old board you may find buying a new keyboard more cost effective
I have to wait for a panel board to be available online, ots alwaus easy to get a new synth but I really dont want to sell or lose this board

Reaction score
i have had some repair luck with electronics being wet or damp from rain and moisture.....

if you can get into the back of the lcd connections ...or even just try the front.....you might try using a hair dryer on low heat and blowing warm air on the lcd unit....try to dry it out completely..
do not melt it ! ..use gentle warmth, many times..be patient and let it dry over a 24 hour period....or more...try blowing it with strong air...like a small ( electric) leaf blower..just use air to remove any wetness inside the casing of the lcd....

if something shorted out electrically....obviously this wont fix it...but if its' just a moisture problem ...i have had luck with a hair dryer and blowing air to remove moisture and dry it out...good luck and be careful if you have to disassemble things....make a note how to reassemble things..!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First question.

Does it still make sound?

Does it still play?

If it shorted out, the power supply for the fluorescent display blows out easily.

If it went thru to the main board then the thing is not worth fixing.

It is, after all, over a decade old.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies

Tried the blower but it did not fix it

Some times it displays characters but most of the times its blank

Just hoping nothing serious, maybe just a short on the lcd module

And yes sound is working fine so i guess its just the lcd that is broken

Problem is that the lcd is somewhat part of the board and no close replacement available, i have to look for a tech that could fix it

Reaction score
First question.

Does it still make sound?

Does it still play?

If it shorted out, the power supply for the fluorescent display blows out easily.

If it went thru to the main board then the thing is not worth fixing.

It is, after all, over a decade old.

Gary ;)
Its working, sound is fine and operation is normal

Just the lcd going crazy, backlight is working

The thing is im sentimental with stuff i'll still keep it

Attachments

• received_1330107154418897.jpeg
    received_1330107154418897.jpeg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's still lighting up and displaying characters it could take months to dry out.

Depending on humidity, leave it in and check on it once a month.

There are microscopic water droplets (rubbing alcohol is 30% water) that haven't dried out yet.

Or seal it in a bag for a month with some dried silica gel packets.

Might be tough in your climate though.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Corrected a typo...
This synth is giving hopes (lol false hopes maybe) it is slowly displaying characters back like normal but only on a certain angle and sometimes some crazy characters, viewing directly from above its blank but from an angle I can see the characters, I'll give it a month or two to see what happens

Thanks!

Reaction score
A litte bit Off topic

Will this work?

I have an X5dr module which I control - basically midi out to midi in

The juno has a soft thru setting

I'm thinking if I connect another controller I can max the module by using channels 1 and 2

Ch1 for the juno - out to in of the module
Ch2 for the other controller - out to in of the juno, then passing the message to the module via soft thru

Less editing and splitting/zoning
Utilizing up to 8 parts of the module using midi ch1 and ch2
Avoiding patch/prog changes within a song

Thanks!

Reaction score
I would not be powering it up at all for a month, in fact its best disconnected from the mains.

Any moisture still inside the LCD as it evaporates could still move around and short circuitry.

Be patient, a warm and very dry atmosphere will help but no hair dryer on any heat setting, you could use the blower cold setting to move air inside the keyboard.

Reaction score
I noticed that 5 of the tact switches that I just replaced are not working, could the lcd shorted the buttons/capacitor? I hope its just faulty tact switches
I would not be powering it up at all for a month, in fact its best disconnected from the mains.

Any moisture still inside the LCD as it evaporates could still move around and short circuitry.

Be patient, a warm and very dry atmosphere will help but no hair dryer on any heat setting, you could use the blower cold setting to move air inside the keyboard

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Like biggles said... STOP powering it up.

Seal it in a bag with silica gel and do not even look at it for a month or two before you end up burning up a component.

IT IS NOT A TOY.

IT NEEDS TO DRY OUT BEFORE YOU TRY ANYTHING.

Ask a Question