Style Creator & MIDI input from other keyboard

Reaction score
Hi there

I have a CASIO keyboard which I would like to record it's internal rhythms into the Style Creator of my Yamaha PSR-s775 using the MIDI out from the Casio to MIDI in of the s775.

The rhythm tracks on CASIO are Channel 7 (Bass), Channel 8 (Melody1), Channel 9 (Melody2), and Channel 10 (Drums)

I have changed the MIDI setting in the PSR-s775 so that Channel 7, 8, 9 and 10 correspond to the part being played through (i.e Channel 10 in CASIO to record into Rhythm 1 of Yamaha Style). But when I try to record the Channel 10 Drums of the CASIO onto "Rhythm 1" style part on Style Creator on PSR-s775 then play it back it turns into a mangled Piano or Vibraphone glitchy sounds. I also have issue recording the remaining three parts and the PSR-s775 just plays them as Piano sounds.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You'll never be able to simply plug a Yamaha and a Casio together and expect them to talk to each other.

If, and it's a big IF, it is at all possible you'll have to export the style to a computer using an export utility, then run a conversion utility to convert the style, (and there will be a lot of nasty debugging to account for differing instruments and channels and tracks in the files) and finally use a third utility to import the styles into the other keyboard.

Manufacturers don't make it easy for competing brands to talk to their hardware except for basic MIDI and Class Compliant USB MIDI in order to swap the most basic of music files between them.

Casio's Rhythms and Yamaha's Styles are basically incompatible with each other unless some hacker reverse engineers their formats and does all the coding and heavy lifting to create a converter program.

Happy googling my friend :)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
It sounds like you're getting the Note On/Off data okay, so that's good.

But Casio uses different Bank and Program values for their voices than Yamaha does. You need to edit each of the tracks (or channels) that you've recorded and insert the Bank Select MSB, Bank Select LSB, and Program Change values for the Yamaha voices or drum kits that you want the style to use.

Ask a Question