Suggestion: Casio CDP-220, Casio PX-350 or Yamaha P-105 for a newbie.

Reaction score
Hello,

I do not know how to play piano but me and my 5 yo daughter wants to learn to play the piano. But I do not want to spend too much. I am living in Istanbul, Turkey and in my country prices are much higher than US.

I plan to buy a Casio CDP-220 because; it has a learning function, has good piano keyboard, has several tons, SD card support and most importantly its HALF price of a PX-350 or P-105.

So, difference between P-105 / PX-350 and CDP-200 are really VERY important, should I really pay TWO times more money and buy P-105 or PX-350 ?

Any comments.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all I'd say the PX-350 is a very nice instrument and one that you will not outgrow in a hurry.

Secondly I'd say if you wish to buy a good quality digital piano on a budget then you should take a look at your local classified ads and craigslist.com and see what's available in your local used market.

http://istanbul.tr.craigslist.com.tr/

Lots of people buy perfectly fine instruments for their kids to learn on and six months later when the kid gives up the instrument ends up selling for half the price.

You should look around at the used market and save yourself a few hundred Euros

Gary

Reaction score
I have a Casio CDP-120 which is essentially a CDP 220, minus the fancy tones and bells.

As far as the keyboard is concerned, it is a great value for money instrument. The keys feel great, esp. if its your first time on a weighted instrument. It is a great learning instrument and would certainly last you years.The Tone is rich too, though not quite full as the Casio Privia Px series.

All in all , If you are on a tighy budget and cannot stretch, go for Casio CDP 220

If you can stretch your budget, Go for Privia PX series.

In either of the cases, you wont regret your choice!

Reaction score
First of all I'd say the PX-350 is a very nice instrument and one that you will not outgrow in a hurry.

Secondly I'd say if you wish to buy a good quality digital piano on a budget then you should take a look at your local classified ads and craigslist.com and see what's available in your local used market.

Thanks for replies..

It will be better if I give some prices.

CDP-220 is 500 USD
PX-330 is 1000 USD
There is just one second hand PX-330 and it is 800 USD. Its not half price.

This weekend I plan to go a seller which has both of them and try the keyboard and listen the sound. I know PX-330 is better than CDP-220 but I am doubt about if I can feel the difference of piano sound and keyboard on these models.

We will see.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
First of all prices on used instruments are negotiable.

Secondly there are two very nice Yamaha Pianos up for sale on the Istanbul Craigslist which I linked.

http://istanbul.en.craigslist.com.tr/search/msa?query=+

I have no idea if they more expensive or cheaper than the prices you quoted because I really can't be bothered to do the conversions from Lira to Dollars but they should seriously be investigated and with a little hard bargaining you could probably knock another 20% off of their asking price.

The thing about buying used is that it requires patience, as different models show up at different times over a month or two and I don't see why you are married to these particular models.

If you shop carefully you may find something much better for much less money than a new unit.

Gary

Reaction score
I have a Casio CDP-120 which is essentially a CDP 220, minus the fancy tones and bells.

As far as the keyboard is concerned, it is a great value for money instrument. The keys feel great, esp. if its your first time on a weighted instrument. It is a great learning instrument and would certainly last you years.The Tone is rich too, though not quite full as the Casio Privia Px series.

All in all , If you are on a tighy budget and cannot stretch, go for Casio CDP 220

If you can stretch your budget, Go for Privia PX series.

In either of the cases, you wont regret your choice!

I decided to buy a CDP-220. Craiglist in my country is not popular and most of the ads not valid. There is some ads but none of them replied. I could find any one in warranty peried, good condition second hand piano.

PX-350 was 1000 USD and CDP-220 was 500 USD, its half price. I believe that neither me nor my daughter can really realize difference on these two models so decided to buy the cheaper one, CDP-220.

Thank you all for your replies.

Ask a Question