Suggestion for Teaching (training) series?

Reaction score
Hello
I played keys in my band almost 25 years ago, I've been getting back into it over the past 6 months and feel the old chops coming back.
I wanted to use or buy a series to get a good practice routine to help me get back into shape and improve/learn more skills to become a better player.
There are a million youtube videos out there, overwhelming, but good for individual topics.
Looking for something to help with a good formula for a daily practice routine, which hopefully will have a progression to it to help improve overall.
Would love to hear some opinions.
thanks

Reaction score
If you browse and search this forum you will find many threads and posts on the very subject.

Practice routines are a personal thing and we probably each have developed a system that works for us.

This and variations is what works for me:-

Set up a practice routine with it broken down into time slots

Noodle around for five minutes, improvisation. This will loosen up the fingers.

Spend 5-10 minutes learning and practicing Scales, do not practice more than three different Scales in a single session. Playing scales has multiple benefits, you learn the Scale and you practice the correct finger crossing techniques.

Spend five minutes looking at the sheet music and visualise the notes and how you are going to play them.

Set the metronome to 60 bpm and play a few bars RH only, do this two or three times then repeat with LH only, again repeat two or three times.

Then play both hands, yet again two or three times.

Repeat the above on a higher bpm.

Spend no longer than fifteen minutes on this exercise.

Play a few songs you know

Dhutdown the keyboard and cover it.

Put the kettle on and have a brew

Reaction score
This and variations is what works for me:-

Hey Biggles, thanks for taking the time to reply. I like your suggestion a lot. That is the trick, for me at least, I need to get into a routine like and exercise routine. I defintely have time time to cut out for it after work daily, especially with remote-covid working, but need to make/define/figure out the routine. I do apprieciate your suggestion, especially how you broke it down into increments
thanks again

Ask a Question