Suggestions for Cheap Hammer Action Keyboard

Reaction score
I have about 3 years of experience playing on a digital piano. I'm looking to get a keyboard as I don't have the piano anymore. I was hoping not to spend too much, as I'm not looking for something really expensive, and I only play/learn the piano for fun in my spare time. However, since I've been using a digital piano, I don't want a really cheap keyboard either.

Here are my basic criteria for a keyboard:
-Scaled hammer action
-Velocity sensitive

So far, it seems my best bets are the Casio Privia PX-130 or the Yamaha P95B. I was hoping for something not quite as expensive (closer to $400 than $500, but that might be wishful thinking). Can anyone offer any suggestions of keyboards for me?

Reaction score
Hi Anom217,

It might be wishful thinking, as the feature you are looking for (scaled hammer action) is only on the hi end units. You might try a hi end controler hooked up to a keyboard, but that combo might end up costing more than you want. Velocity sensitive is typical, from lower end units to the hi end.

Take a look..................

Reaction score
Hi Anom217,

It might be wishful thinking, as the feature you are looking for (scaled hammer action) is only on the hi end units. You might try a hi end controler hooked up to a keyboard, but that combo might end up costing more than you want. Velocity sensitive is typical, from lower end units to the hi end.

Take a look..................
Agreed, finding a graded hammer action at a low price point is going to be difficult. As you mention that you only play for fun in your spare time I'm thinking that weighted action (and not graded weighted action) is probably good enough. The Privia is probably your best bet.

Ask a Question