suggetions for using a sequencer live

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions from anyone who has experience with using a non-computer based sequencer doing live gigs. I sing and play and do mostly solo and duo gigs and have never worked with one. Any suggestions as to models, pros and cons, ease of use, etc. would be especially welcome. I'm thinking used, because I assume they don't make them anymore because sequencing is done with a laptop these days. I don't have a laptop and don't want to buy one just for that purpose, and have to worry about it getting stolen. Having said that, is there any great advantage that I should consider to a laptop and software sequencing, aside from being able to use the laptop for other things? With any sequencer is it possible (and easy) to repeat a section for extended soloing? My keyboard is a Yamaha S90ES.

Reaction score
How ya doin??

If your thinkin about spending the money for a laptop anyway(plus after buying the laptop you would need the right software) it might be more feesable to invest in a keyboard with a sequencer built in to the board....with the sequencer on board, and if you gig live, you could have your sequences already loaded into the keyboard and at your immediate disposal when you play......As far as the money is concerned, they range from about 599.00 on up.....just a thought!

btw, you would prolly want to be lookin at "keyboard workstations".....that will point you in the right direction....say musicians friend or sam ash.com

Also....yamaha makes 1 stand alone sequencer that i know of, the SQ100. You can read about it here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Yamaha-QY100-Sequencer-Accompaniment-Tool?sku=701491

I hear its really good, but it does have a "learning curve"....it will take some time to figure it out

hope this helps

Reaction score
reply to reply

thanks for the reply. To clarify my original post, I'm really not in the market for a laptop; I don't have the money. Maybe, if that were the only, or by far the best alternative. I'm really hoping to hear from people who have experience with outboard hardware sequencers who can advise me, possibly those out there doing the one or two man band thing. I have a relatively new keyboard that I really like, so I'm not going to replace it. It has sequenced drum patterns, but they can't be programmed. If someone has experience with both computer-based and hardware, and computer sequencing has far greater advantages over hardware, than I might hold off and save for a laptop. I'm thinking a used sequencer can't be that expensive.

Reaction score
2nd reply to reply from poster

I just noticed the link to the Yamaha sequencer. Thanks. I am checking it out. It sounds like more than I was planning on spending, but has a lot of great features. Would still welcome other cheaper alternatives and pertinent info from user experience.

Reaction score
Ended up using Ableton Live, but couldn't get it to loop the way I wanted (see other posts). Solved the problem finally (pasted from other posts):

Since this posting I've gotten Ableton to do what I wanted (no help from tech support, they tried but I had to figure it out myself). There is a looping function in Ableton that can be be triggered by midi (from a midi controller, standalone or keyboard), assigned to turn on and off the looping function (I assign it to a rotary knob) which will allow it to play through the current section and either repeat/loop, or when turned off, play through to the end of the song.

Hope this helps someone else.​

Reaction score
Hi Irduff, you definitely went the right way. External boxes are limited in the number of songs, loops, tracks and patterns that they can hold...usually way less than a performing musician like yourself would be happy with. I started out that way years ago but found the limited on my unit of 20,000 notes and 8 tracks was far less than I originally thought. A laptop based system, like you went to, will allow you much more flexibility, creativity and in the long run, serve you needs much better.

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Yes, I think I did go the right way for the reasons you mentioned. I don't really like having my expensive Macbook Pro at gigs, but it seems to be working well. No crashes yet. I like using audio tracks because I can record my own additional tracks (in addition to my basic tracks I get from 'Real Tracks' in Band In A Box - drums, bass, guitars) to add (keyboard strings, horns, flute, etc.) to make my own arrangements.

Ask a Question