Sustain malfunction

Reaction score
When playing the keyboard at church the sustain will sometimes cut off during play. It starts of fine but then stops sustaining notes after a few songs. I brought my keyboard from home to use and the same thing happened even though I'd never had that issue with my personal one before. Could something be interfering with the sustain function?

Reaction score
My personal keyboard is a Casio WK245 and I can't remember the model of the keyboard at the church. Each have their own pedal. It has never happened on my personal keyboard before. Only when I plugged it in at church.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Without make and model numbers of the church keyboard and the pedals used I can't even begin to help you.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I will get them on Wednesday. However, I'm not sure how it's relevant because I used two different keyboards and pedals and they both did the same thing. I will post again when I have the other keyboard info. I'm wondering if it's possible that the sound system or electrical at the church is interfering somehow. I'm not sure if that even a possibility. It's just strange that it is doing the same thing with two separate keyboards.

The Y_man

Reaction score
When playing the keyboard at church the sustain will sometimes cut off during play. It starts of fine but then stops sustaining notes after a few songs. I brought my keyboard from home to use and the same thing happened even though I'd never had that issue with my personal one before. Could something be interfering with the sustain function?

When you say sustain - is the output from your board just the notes? (no accompaniment etc)
Is it being fed into the church PA?

If so, it sounds like a noise gate that is too aggressively set.

The Y-man

Reaction score
When you say sustain - is the output from your board just the notes? (no accompaniment etc)
Is it being fed into the church PA?

If so, it sounds like a noise gate that is too aggressively set.

The Y-man

Yes I believe I'm just talking about the notes. I mainly use a classic piano setting. When I play chords or individual notes the sustain doesn't hold them and it sounds clipped. It seems like it starts after I've been playing for a little while. Yes it is going through the church system. I don't know much about it but I will check into the "noise gate" suggestion.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Yes I believe I'm just talking about the notes. I mainly use a classic piano setting. When I play chords or individual notes the sustain doesn't hold them and it sounds clipped. It seems like it starts after I've been playing for a little while. Yes it is going through the church system. I don't know much about it but I will check into the "noise gate" suggestion.

Yup - definitely sounds like a noise gate setting.
Noise gates are used to shut down the audio channel below a certain volume so that annoying "hum" doesn't come through the system.

If the "threshold" (where it shuts off the channel) is set too high, it thinks the last part of your note is "noise" and shuts it off (can be very abruptly depending on the setting).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

The Y-man

The Y_man

Reaction score
I just realised - if they can't/won't adjust the gate - try upping the output level on the keyboard (and obviously lower the level at the mixer).

If the gate is the issue, you need the "sustained" part of the note to be effectively (much) louder than the background noise.

The Y-man

Reaction score
Yup - definitely sounds like a noise gate setting.
Noise gates are used to shut down the audio channel below a certain volume so that annoying "hum" doesn't come through the system.

If the "threshold" (where it shuts off the channel) is set too high, it thinks the last part of your note is "noise" and shuts it off (can be very abruptly depending on the setting).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noise_gate

The Y-man

I took a pic of the equipment we are using. The first two is what my board is plugged into. The last one is what we use for the microphones. They are connected somehow also. I believe the first one goes through the last one. Sorry I can't be more precise. I'm not sure if this helps at all...

Attachments

• IMG_1102.JPG
    IMG_1102.JPG
    102.1 KB · Views: 339
  • IMG_1103.JPG
    IMG_1103.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_1104.JPG
    IMG_1104.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
I just realised - if they can't/won't adjust the gate - try upping the output level on the keyboard (and obviously lower the level at the mixer).

If the gate is the issue, you need the "sustained" part of the note to be effectively (much) louder than the background noise.

The Y-man

I don't think it's a matter of them not doing as much as not knowing how to.... We are a new church and very small still.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am out of ideas - can you try the last one - raise the output volume of the keyboard (on the keyboard itself), and lower the "level" on the mixer your keyboard plugs into, Let me know if it makes a difference.

Also - does the keyboard have a headphone output? If so please check if the sustain is working when you play through headphones (although you have mentioned it happens to 2 different boards)

The Y-man

Reaction score
Ok I will try adjusting the volumes and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. The keyboard at the church (a Yamaha YPG-235) doesn't have a headphone jack. My personal keyboard does. I will check that as well.

Ask a Question