sustain over patch changes for xp 50

Reaction score
Hi I'm keith and i'm new here at keyboard forums. I purchased a 2nd hand roland xp 50 a few weeks ago. I was wondering if i could find discussions here regarding sustain over patch changes. Its like whenever you change a patch using INC or DEC or the alpha dial, the tone you are previously using still sustains until you press for the next patch without cutting it.
I hope you can help me on this. thanks. :)

button_chunk_1.png
button_chunk_3.png
button_chunk_1.png
edit
button_chunk_3.png

Reaction score
Probably nothing here since what you say can't be done. The feature you're talking about is called patch remain, and very few keyboards on the market have it, probably because it means having two copies of your hardware so you can keep one copy playing the old tones with the old effects and another copy playing the new tones with the new effects.

On some keyboards, the old tone will sound but the new effects will be used (my Korg TR does that), but without going for a very high end keyboard (the Roland Fantom G series is the only one I'm aware of that has patch remain; maybe the Korg OASYS does too), this is the best you can get when switching programs.

Depending on how many individual parts you can have in a program or combi (I can't remember Roland's terminology for this, but by combi I mean multiple sounds layered together or split across the keyboard or both), the xp 50 might allow you to have some parts muted and some not, and to do something to unmute and mute various parts with a single button. And if all you want to do is add parts to what's already playing, you might be able to have some parts set to respond to an expression pedal set to volume and others not, so you could use the pedal to bring in new voices.

Reaction score
thank you very much for the info. will go through what you posted and probably will read it again and again while tinkering with my keyboards. thanks again. I appreciate it.

Ask a Question