Sustain Pedal Problems

Reaction score
Hi all...I am new to the forum. Long time reader, first time poster!

Hoping to get some help with my sustain pedal problem. I have searched and can't find anything that applies to my problem.

I have a Roland Fantom S88. Past couple of gigs, the sustain pedal will randomly just "stick". It will be going along and working fine, then all of the sudden it is like you are just holding it down. I have an extra pedal....changed it and it worked for a bit, but then reverted back to the problem I just described. I also bought a brand new pedal just to make sure, and it does the same thing.

I really hope that there isn't a problem within one of the circuit cards on the keyboard. The keyboard is a little long in the tooth, but I still like it and use it regularly.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
You might have a corrupted operating system. If it is reloadable I would try to reload it. Also separately I would clean the sustain input jack on the keyboard (the female) with deoxit.

The Y_man

Reaction score
Eeeww..... you've done the right thing by testing different pedals to exclude that possiblity - which points the problem back to the keyboard and..... potentially $$$

Nothing I hate more than transient faults - next to impossible to track down and fix...:(

The Y-man

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick responses guys. You both confirmed my fears!

I have searched all over the internet trying to see if maybe this was a common problem. I haven't found one single thing. Only thing that comes up is for people who just have the polarity of the pedal crossed.

As yman pointed out...very hard to troubleshoot since it isn't a consistent fault. I may see how hard it is to get the sustain jack out...maybe I will luck out and find a wire that is almost broken causing an open circuit at the jack??

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'd say your first options should be trying Dave's suggestions and reinstalling your firmware and cleaning the pedal jack contacts before you start opening it up yourself. If neither of those work out then it's probably worthwhile to bring it to a tech. Otherwise it's probably not a DIY fix.

Also would be worthwhile to post your question to Roland tech support and get their take on it. They may have encountered it before and it may even be a known issue to them.

Ask a Question