Sustain pedal reversed (not in a normal way) Yamaha MOXF8

Reaction score
I recently took delivery of a Yamaha moxf8. Absolutely love the synth - the sounds are amazing and the midi capability is unparalleled. However, I seem to be having a bit of trouble with the sustain pedal. Basically, here's what's happening:
I turn the keyboard on, and the sounds are not sustaining. I press the sustain pedal to sustain a note, and it does not sustain. Then I release the pedal, and the notes sustain, suggesting the polarity is switched. However, this doesn't seem to be the case, as when I switch sounds it goes back to not sustaining notes when the pedal is not pressed. But when I press it again, the polarity seems to switch back to reverse, and will not fix itself. I have tried holding down the pedal while I power it on, as I have done in the past with other keyboards, but this does not fix the issue. I'm not sure if it's the pedal itself that is incompatible (it does not have a polarity switch but has worked perfectly on multiple different keyboards, including a yamaha dgx 660), or if there is a setting that needs to be changed, OR if it is something internally wrong with the keyboard. Plz help! Thanks

Reaction score
It really sounds like simply the wrong polarity. Can you try a pedal from Yamaha, or specifically Yamaha-compatible, or with a polarity switch?

suggesting the polarity is switched. However, this doesn't seem to be the case, as when I switch sounds it goes back to not sustaining notes when the pedal is not pressed.

That behavior does not mean it's not a polarity issue. I believe MOXF resets all controllers when you switch sounds by default, whereas your DGX did not.

I have tried holding down the pedal while I power it on, as I have done in the past with other keyboards, but this does not fix the issue.

Some keyboards have that feature. MOXF does not, and simply does not support working with pedals of the "wrong" polarity.

but has worked perfectly on multiple different keyboards, including a yamaha dgx 660

DGX could be made to work with pedals of either polarity. MOXF does not have that feature.

Reaction score
There are sustain pedals that are normally open and others that are normally closed. My Gem Equinox has a software switch to match the keyboard to the polarity of the pedal being used. Most keyboards don't have this software functionality; some keyboards (like my Kurzweil) read the pedal polarity on powerup to set themselves. Sounds as though the pedal you have is a mismatched pedal from a polarity perspective. If you don't know which one you have (nor know which one you need) purchase one with a polarity switch and do the experiment.

Reaction score
I really wanted to avoid not buying another pedal, as I love the one I have and it was more expensive than most others. However, It seems like that's the option now - I appreciate the help. I will update when it comes in.

Reaction score
Nope, he says in the OP that his pedal doesn't have a polarity switch, alas. BTW, for simple sustain pedal (not half-dampering, and not expression) Yamaha and Roland pedals are compatible with each other.

Reaction score
So, little update: if I knew how to solder I could switch the polarity of the Roland foot-switch I have currently. However, due to some other circumstances, I had a small credit at guitar center, so I decided to order a Yamaha FC3A pedal. Though it is not preferred, I'm kind of over all the B.S. I've had to go through to get this keyboard to work (it had arrived broken and took me forever to finally get it repaired), so instead of a normal small foot switch I got the one that I know will work, even though it is bulky and a pain to carry around. Should ship out tomorrow, I will update you guys on whether it works or not.

Reaction score
Nope, he says in the OP that his pedal doesn't have a polarity switch, alas. BTW, for simple sustain pedal (not half-dampering, and not expression) Yamaha and Roland pedals are compatible with each other.
My Roland Fantom X6 and Yamaha MX61 have different polarities - why I have a switchable sustain pedal.

Reaction score
So, little update: if I knew how to solder I could switch the polarity of the Roland foot-switch I have currently. However, due to some other circumstances, I had a small credit at guitar center, so I decided to order a Yamaha FC3A pedal. Though it is not preferred, I'm kind of over all the B.S. I've had to go through to get this keyboard to work (it had arrived broken and took me forever to finally get it repaired), so instead of a normal small foot switch I got the one that I know will work, even though it is bulky and a pain to carry around. Should ship out tomorrow, I will update you guys on whether it works or not.
I would buy a pedal (like the one I linked) with the polarity switch. Why? Because you may have another keyboard 10 or 20 years from now.

Ask a Question