Suzuki Acoustic Grand w/QRS Pianomation

Reaction score
I just purchased a 7' Suzuki semi-concert grand, model 215C. In very nice condition, bought from the second-owner. I am not fully crazed about either its action or tone (I've played more broadly resonant 6' uprights) but I think the heavily couched and carpeted listening room was a factor. I'm solidly confident that it is not damaged. Visually, it is in virtually like-new condition, and has only been moved twice since the showroom floor.

For a used investment-grade piano I was prepared to invest up to 25k.
And while this isn't exactly a wet-dreamers concert grand, the savings certainly were:
$3k cash!

Anyway, I wouldn't have my nose in this forum except for the fact that it is fitted with the QRS Pianomation player-piano setup. The private seller demo'd it for me; fairly impressive actuation, including greatly adjustable dynamics.
Frankly, also funny as hell...

I was thinking the key/synth braintrust may have some individual and collective insight into this Frankenstein coffin: The evil genius box has midi in/out/thru which has me curious.

My stage ax is a loaded Kurz 2600xs, and I stack in Logic. For starters, I'm wondering about the QRS system's midi-in functionality: can external sequencers play the acoustic beast?
I haven't cracked the included manual, so maybe the answer is within.

Thoughts?
Cheers

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If it's got MIDI IN then it probably can be controlled by a sequencer or a computer. Then again it probably only controls a single voice and single channel. If you played a MIDI file like Weather Report's Birdland thru it it would probably be a spectacular cacaphony.

Unless it has some sort of simple MIDI GM Module built in it would sound pretty funny.

Does it also have any Audio Line Out Ports or only the MIDI ports?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for speedy response.

Yup, (analog) audio in/out as well.
Also has a smallish powered speaker mounted facing-down as well.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Try pumping a MID file thru the IN port. Maybe it's GM or even GS capable. That would be a hoot! :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Pics
20180803_212949.jpg
20180803_213413.jpg
20180803_213439.jpg

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I'm seeing RCA audio IN/OUTs in those pics as well as a bunch of what looks like old fashioned computer serial modem and printer D connector cables.

Where are the DIN MIDI ports you mentioned?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Never mind. When I expanded the third pic I saw the MIDI ports.

Like I said, try hooking up a MIDI to USB adapter to your laptop and fire a sequence in there and give a listen to what comes out.

This may be the prototype design for Chuck E Cheese :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
It's going to be "awhile" before this happens.
If I don't close on the new casa this week the piano may go into storage. Even if all goes clockwork, there's a few weeks of superior priorities.

However, these are great ideas and will def see their day in 'cord'.
Thanks!
Cheers

Ask a Question