Switching from Nord Stage 2 to ???

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just sold my Nord Stage 2 HA 88. Absolutely loved that thing. It served me well for nearly 7 years, but it was just too heavy for me to keep carting around, especially with the case. So now I'm looking for a replacement setup, and I was thinking of going with a lighter, weighted (or semi-weighted, if I have to) full-size MIDI controller, like the Arturia KeyLab 88 MkII (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...a-keylab-88-mkii-weighted-keyboard-controller), and then using external sounds via USB.

Here's my question: are there good enough sound libraries and/or apps for iPads that I could run my sound from them? Is that even a possibility? Please excuse the question if it's an ignorant one — I'm pretty old school, so I don't have much experience in this area. I sold my Nord for $2200, and I need to keep my next rig underneath that, so my thought was that I could buy the MIDI controller and an iPad to run sounds from.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome. Thanks.

Reaction score
Here's my question: are there good enough sound libraries and/or apps for iPads that I could run my sound from them? Is that even a possibility? Please excuse the question if it's an ignorant one — I'm pretty old school, so I don't have much experience in this area. I sold my Nord for $2200, and I need to keep my next rig underneath that, so my thought was that I could buy the MIDI controller and an iPad to run sounds from.

Any suggestions or thoughts are welcome. Thanks.
Listen to this module: link

and the latest acoustic pianos just introduced which were not included in the link above:

Steinway Yamaha

Also, a few dozen sounds included (horns, brass, strings, Choirs, EP's, VB3-II, Clav D6, VA Synth, Saxes, Trumpet, CP80, Vox, Farfisa and others). The beauty of the module is that you can then pick the controller of your choice, something lightweight with a keybed that you want, and the module is transportable if you decide later to use a different controller.

I happen to have one in mint condition that I could let go at a great price.

Reaction score
Welcome

This is regarded as the best Acoustic Piano App for an iPad so do take a listen to it on as good a system as you can.

I use an iPad but I am not a gigging musician and whilst it does work for me they can be problematic in a gigging situation where a Macbook and Mainstage/ Logic Pro may be a better solution.

Over on another forum a member there wrote a thread about using only an iPad and his Roland MIDI keyboard at a gig, it worked but did have sound compromises and functional difficulties to overcome. This guy is not a weekend player but one who has gigged all over the world as part of a well known band and knows his stuff.

My iPad Pro cannot yet use a version of Mainstage and hence does require a bit of faffing around yo get what I want. So do bear this in mind if you go this route, if you have an iPhone the Apps will work on that so it may be worthwhile checking out a few prior to committing to this route.

Reaction score
Here's my question: are there good enough sound libraries and/or apps for iPads that I could run my sound from them?

I have experimented with similar things, and it seems very viable, but I admit I have not "field tested" such a rig for long term stability/reliability. To get a Nord-Stage-like variety of sounds with something like Nord quality, you'd need to use a combination of apps. While it is possible to run a bunch of apps and have your controller address them simply by putting each app on its own MIDI channel, it's generally better to run the apps within a master hosting program like Camelot Pro or Keystage. I think it gives you a more predictable, more stable, more flexible environment, and actually seems to use less resources even though you're adding an additional program with its own overhead. But either way, you may have to experiment a little, because not every app necessarily works harmoniously with every other app.

My own app suggestions would be:

For tonewheel organ: B-3X or VB3m, as budget and personal preference allow

For acoustic pianos: The aforementioned Ravenscroft 275 is probably best

For electric pianos and common rompler sounds: Korg Module (possibly with add-ons, to taste)

There's some good discussion of mellotron apps at https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50825/what-s-everyone-using-for-mellotron-sounds/p1 and clav at https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/34671/realistic-clavinet

For VA synth, there are tons of possibilities. Being a dinosaur and a bit of a purist, I like Moog's Model D.

There are lots of other cool apps, but I'm trying to come at this from a Nord user's perspective.

A couple of notes:

The well-known Garageband is not a good choice... it has good sounds, but its MIDI functionality is too limited.

Using a host like Keystage, you can load multiple instances of AUv3 apps. So if you want to run 5 copies of Korg Module to be able to access more of its sounds simultaneously, you can, as demonstrated here:

Ask a Question