Switching to something lighter (from Yamaha DGX-630/YPG-635)

Reaction score
Slimming Yamaha DGX-630/YPG-635

Hello!

Right now I have Yamaha YPG-635 (DGX-630 in Europe). It's a very solid and generally cool keyboard, but not only I am unable to use its capabilities fully, but also it is very big, heavy, bulky and unportable.

I am looking for something which has: 88 weighted keys, usb port to connect with computer. high-quality piano sound by default. It should also be pretty portable (So I can dismantle the stand in a minute or so). If possible, three pedals would be cool, but I can live with only sustain pedal. Ah, and integrated metronome would be also nice. As for the price range, something around what I already have.

I don't need any fancy features like midi playback, 500 sounds, notes display, ability to connect external storage and other fluff.

I had a chance to check out Casio PX-330. I think it had a better sound than my Yamaha, and I generally liked it, but I am looking for alternatives. I live in Poland if that matters to anyone :).

Thanks!

Edit: I have just noticed that there is Keyboard Recommendation board. I'd delete this topic and recreate it there, but I can't so, can someone move it? I guess it wasn't the best way to ask a first question here :(

Reaction score
Any other alternatives? I generally like Casio, I even have one of their very old mini keyboards (can't remember the model name, can't even find it on the web) and I am afraid I will buy it because of the fondness rather than quality.

Reaction score
I have to disagree with the Casio recommendation. I teach at a Guitar Center Studios, and we use these. And honestly, while they are functional the sampling is terrible, and the durability is low. If you want a light keyboard with amazing sounds check out Yamaha's MOX8 (or MOX6 if you don't need 88 keys). It has the same sound bank as the flagship Motif without as much of the sequencing.
I own one, and it sounds amazing! And is VERY light.

Ask a Question