Synth recommendation.... yeh I know..

Reaction score
Just after some thoughts as I try and narrow down the field...

Some will know already.... Im primarily a covers band live player, heavily 80s based but with other stuff across the decades.

I have a 3 tier stand, currently loaded with an RD2000 and Fantom 7 on the bottom 2 tiers. I "May" change the RD2000. I love the Keybed, and I love the control functions, but I have the V-Pianos in the Fantom now so maybe looking at the Grand Stage instead.... Or Possibly a Kawai MP7.

That is one choice (chip in if you wish) but not the main one.

My top tier is currently a shelf with 3 modules on it. A Peak, a Virus Ti2 and a Legend EXP organ module. heres the think. I need the organ module currently. The RD and Fantom dont do decent Hammonds, hence the modules for the synths. HOWEVER, Roland have said they are bringing a Tonewheel to the Fantom (maybe next FW maybe a little down the live) at which point IF its good enough (the VR engine) I can ditch the Legend.

Now... I "could" add another module... and I may do that (either a Hydrasynth or an analogue - probably OB6) BUT I could also ditch all the modules and put a dedicated keyboard synth on the top tier. This is where the advice is needed. Ive not really looked at keyboards as I could never find space, but if that changes??

Would need to be a Poly, and cover most of the bread and butter sounds Peak and Virus do. Not so much their more "out there" sounds - as I dont do ambient, experimental, film/TV soundtracks etc. Bear in mind Fantom has a decent VA engine already so Id be looking at analogue primarily

Thinking maybe PolyBrute, or P6/OB6 keyboard.... Moog one is out of my price range but would probably be my No 1 if I had that kind of cash. Theres the Quantum but ?? dont know enough about it, and a lot of what it does isnt analogue as such.

So - what complements the Piano (RD /Grand Stage or Kawai) and Fantom in a pure analogue synth keyboard - particularly focuses on 80s sounds. A Programmable arp (patterns) would be a huge plus point.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Arturia Polybrute sounds pretty amazing.

I don't know how much more you could ask.

Or if you want to go strictly analogue on the cheap there's always the Behringer Poly D for under a thou.

I own a Model D and believe me it does traditional Moogy sounds very well indeed.

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If this doesn't sell you on the Poly D then nothing will :)

I'm thinking of pulling the trigger myself. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I'll have one once kids fly the nest, and I get a bigger room.

For now, needs to be a propper poly.

I'd prefer 8/12/16 voices really but would be OK with 6 for the right board.

Given polybrute, ob6 and p6 are just that......

Ask a Question