Synth Sounds for the Ipad

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

I have a Tyros arranger keyboard which is great for what I do, which is mostly covers for my own pleasure.

The one thing I find sadly lacking on the Tyros is good classic synth voices, so I bought an Ipad to use as a sort of a sound model, to add extra voices to the stuff I record , most keyboard manufactures are now offering apps that contain an array of voices for use with the Ipad, so the question is being I child of the sixties and know nothing about synths which keyboard manufacturer made the best synth sounds on there keyboards ? Korg, Roland ? etc. There are plenty of brief demos but none give enough info for me to make an informed decision and spend my hard earned money on the right package.

Brian

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The biggest names in Synths back in the 80's included Moog, Oberheim, Roland and believe it or not, Casio.

Those would be the models I was looking at.

However, emulating these on a computer is a pretty much cut and dried process these days.

You should be able to find a lot of VSTi plugins for these vintage synths released as freeware these days. Just use the Googly box to locate them for iPad.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
The biggest names in Synths back in the 80's included Moog, Oberheim, Roland and believe it or not, Casio.
tumblr_o8h1omGXZn1ual3guo1_540.jpg

Reaction score
Hi ALL,

I have a Tyros arranger keyboard which is great for what I do, which is mostly covers for my own pleasure.

The one thing I find sadly lacking on the Tyros is good classic synth voices, so I bought an Ipad to use as a sort of a sound model, to add extra voices to the stuff I record , most keyboard manufactures are now offering apps that contain an array of voices for use with the Ipad, so the question is being I child of the sixties and know nothing about synths which keyboard manufacturer made the best synth sounds on there keyboards ? Korg, Roland ? etc. There are plenty of brief demos but none give enough info for me to make an informed decision and spend my hard earned money on the right package.

Brian

Reaction score
Hi Brian I use this vst via midi on my laptop. I think this is awesome. Hope you like it.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Great video, thanks for linking to it! I had to laugh when he said "KALLY-ope"-- I wanted to post a comment saying "it's kuh-LIE-oh-pee"! But I've mispronounced plenty of words in my time, so... ;)

I have synth1 on my computers. I don't think it's available for iPad, though. But there are a few free soft synths in the apps store.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Ben,

Thanks for the info. but I have never been able to get vst to working for me, dont know what it is / was for me but it was just a no go, so reluctantly went the Ipad route and from minute one everything work straight away, call me lazy but sometimes life just to sort to spend hours setting things up and when you go back the next day it wont work, and the ipad is reliable and works with the Tyros seamlessly so what more can you ask for.

All the best, Brian

Reaction score
One thing to consider is that it somewhat depends on which model iPad you have. Some of the new soft synths just won't work on older ones. I have a 4th generation ipad and the Moog model 15 as well as the Korg Mono/Poly soft synths are incompatible. They require some newfangled processor.
However Korg has a few really good soft synths for the iPad and I'm quite sure that you'll be able to find sounds that you want. I'd look into the Polysix and M1 apps. In my Kronos I have a Polysix engine and it's one of my favourite ones for getting the classic 80's synth sounds.

Ask a Question