Synthesizer control box

Reaction score
Hello,

Let me start out by saying that I'm a guitarist and not at all an expert on things synth/keyboard. My keyboardist has a motif xs7 and she's very talented with it. My question is this: I've been to concerts where the keyboardist was using a box external to the keyboard that performed all of the synthesizing. It was like the keyboard was more of a "dumb" digital piano and all of the "smarts" (i.e. software engine) were in the external box.

This got me to thinking. If you used an external box like that for synth, you wouldn't be restricted to sounds from one manufacturer. I could have sounds from roland, korg, yamaha, etc. all in one box at her fingertips.

Is this true? If so, can someone point me in the right direction to the box we'd need? There are so many keyboard/synth peripherals out there I'm having a hard time weeding through it.

Ask a Question