System-1 SH101 purchase issue

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a NOOB here but I owned and used many vintage - modern synths in the last 35 years. I'm not one for forums but I need some info with the following. Many thanks in advance.

Has anyone bought a System-1 with the free SH101 offer in the last year? I got my Roland System-1 last Xmas with a free SH101 upgrade. However, when I tried to register / download it I was only offered a discount. I contacted Roland who eventually told me that this offer finished 4 years ago. A bit strange since the unit I purchased was new and 1.3 OS? Roland haven't been very sympathetic to my complaint probably thinking I'm a scammer even though I sent picture proof of all the serial and product key details as they requested. They certainly weren't very accommodating which isn't like Roland customer service of old.

Has anyone else had this problem?

With the extra cost of the SH101 plug out the unit isn't really worth the money considering you could purchase a Behringer MS1 & Model D for around the same price and totally hands on.

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Return it and buy another make, ie one that has not been sitting unboxed on a shelf for four years.

The Behringers arguably get better reviews than the Roland especially the newest models.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
He said he bought it last Christmas, so it seems likely that he can no longer return it.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that he should have read the fine print on the offer before pulling the trigger.

All that can be said on this is "Caveat Emptor."

Badmouthing customer service because they won't honor a 4 year old promotion is just sour grapes at this point.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Customer services guy was polite enough but short and sweet without offering other alternatives. He'll have his hands tied I suppose. With Behringer's onslaught of cloned vintage Roland devices and others which are cheaper and feature packed it might be more prudent to 'keep the customer sweet'. Korg's Volca & logue range are also a cheaper viable alternative which must be eating up their sales.

The machine's got a 1.3 OS (I think the newest) so should be a recent manufacture. It's an OK synth nothing ground breaking to my ear with the plug outs being its only real ace and scatter being a bit gimmicky. For the same money you can get a Minilogue V1.0, food for thought.. (Got a Monologue already).

That said, I think I'll purchase the PROMARS plug out and purchase the Behringer MS1 (Black). I've already bought Behringer's Model D and it's awesome. Also looking to get a Roland System 8 (just for the JP JU JX plug outs) and slowly but surely purchase the Behringer classics range as I remove bodily parts for funding. Exciting times with Behringer's epic recreations, really has raised the game in the synth World and about time. Pity Casio doesn't revamp their 80's PD/iPD range they were so underrated / not fashionable but incredibly powerful for the price.

Akai MX73, MPK261, MPK Mini II, S950, S2000, Rhythm Wolf, Tom Cat, Dr4d, Casio CZ-1, CZ1000, VZ10M, VL1, Korg Poly800 MK1, Korg POLYSIX (Midi), Monologue, X5D, Roland System-1, Jupiter 6, Juno 106, Yamaha TG500, TX81z, CS1x, CS2x, Kawai K1r, Arturia Sparkle 2, Moog Source Kenton Pro Solo, Waldorf Streichfett, Behringer Model D, BCR2000, 2x SL3242FX-Pro, Composer, Vintage PHASER (Small stone clone), 2x Uphoria 404HD, Cubase 10 Pro & VST's a plenty., Alesis Midiverb II, Boss RRV10, blah blah I could go on (35yrs of collecting) Had other classic machines some I wish I never sold considering current prices :(.

Reaction score
All offers expire at some point so when buy old models of things with offers you have to check the expiration dates and don't wait to get what was offered. In fact an expired offer should of been a negotiation point for trying to get a better price on the gear.

I wouldn't blame Roland CS either in this over computerized world employees can only do what the computer allows them to do, the days of CS people having leaway are over. I just went through a similar type issue with Best Buy on a iPad, sucks but that's todays world computer run everything.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
That list of synths and whatnots at the end of your next-to-last post is impressive. :)

Reaction score
Thanks SeaGTGruff. Since I'm new I'll give a wee bit history, nothing special I'm afraid..

I've been into synths since the early 80's and first synth purchased was the Korg Poly 800 MK1 (1986). In addition to some of the synths I've already mentioned I also owned and used:

Korg Delta, Lambda, Sigma (midified). 707
Roland SH101 (x2) MC202 using Kenton Pro II CV Gate to Midi interface, R8m, SVC350 vocoders (x2), MT32, MKS7
Crumar compact piano
Transcendent 2000
EDP Wasp
Akai X7000
Casio CZ3000, RZ1, AZ1 controller, SK5 mini sampler, MT68, PT30
Yamaha QY10, QY20, KX5 controller
Boss Dr Rhythm DR110
Alesis HR16
Sinclair ZX SpecDrums (x2 for stereo effects, that was fun synchronising with CV Gate using 24 PPQ)
Commodore 64 synth & electronic voice programs with keyboard overlay
All orchestrated using an Atari 1024 STE then Atari Mega 4MB + HDD & Steinberg Pro24 then Cubase V2.0 and shed loads of ancillary support equipment..

Used to be in a band but that's for another conversation.

Would you believe that I was purchasing at a time when anaolgue equipment was being sold for pennies! The DX7 and FM Bro's dominated back then, analogue was uncool. My Jupiter 6 which is immaculate was purchased (1989) for £100 and my Moog Source £50 (1992)....The Korg Polysix was £140 and it was bought in Sheffield (1995) from a guy showing pictures of him and members of the Human League playing it.. It was cheap because it wouldn't retain its memory. Yip you guessed it just a flat internal battery. Easy.. Korg Poly 800 (1986) ex demo as it was supposedly hired from the music store (Sound Control St Mary's Street Edinburgh) used by German band called Tangerine Dream.. Theirs had malfunctioned as the story goes. SOLD.. No provenance I'm afraid, pity....

Most analogues were bought for no more than £30 - £300 max. Could never afford the top ranging gear although I was offered a cheap Yamaha CS80 once but never bought it cause it looked like an organ and a Elka Synthex but couldn't be bothered to drive 400+ miles to collect it. Muppet eh..

However, I've retained / purchased afore mentioned equipment and now renovating a studio hence the purchasing of new gear. I'm more a collector now purchasing usually analogue or imitations for hands on simplicity and immediate sonic gratification. That's why the System-1 appealed to me considering the ACB Plug outs. As stated it's a bit limited considering and the lack of memories (x8). I'm undecided if I'll keep it (Korg Minilogue is more appealing). I still think I'll purchase (next month or so) the System-8 for the classic poly imitations. Always loved Roland gear long may it last.

Sadly most remaining 'classic analogues' have now been snapped up for prestige more over investment considerations so most won't get the opportunity to experience their sheer hands on creative enjoyment and potential due to scarcity and extortionate pricing. It's great that some original manufacturers as releasing imitation versions but still smaller less flamboyant & quite expensive. It's like owing a kit car Ferrari, looks the same - sounds the same - drives the same.. But it ain't no Ferrari…. Synths back then were big investments, a Jupiter 8 cost as much as a flat so only the rich & famous were privy. Less people, less made & lessened with the passage of time, now almost priceless. Look at the humble TB303. Back in the mid 80's you couldn't give one away. I seen a music shop ad stating if you bought a pack of cornflakes the TB303 was free!!! although the pack of cornflake was £40... ;D

Again brings me back to Behringer... Considering music for the masses they've nailed it in my opinion. Definitely getting the MS1 (SH101) & probably the Odyssey, K2 (MS20), SCI Pro one and hopefully OSCar all the synths I dreamt about. Rumour has it the UB-XA, CS80 & possible ARP Solina poly's are on the way. At indicated prices who could refuse. A total classic studio for a few thousand and a great investment. Big thumbs up from me...

I'm also looking for a string synth (eg. Logan / Hohner String Melody II) at a reasonable price even if electrically faulty considered if anyone has one?

Cheers....

Ask a Question