Talkbox Sound out of Korg R3?

Reaction score
I know it has all those vocoder sounds but is there a way I can modify any of them to sound like a regular talkbox?

Reaction score
Not really. They operate somewhat similarly, but a vocoder stretches the formants of whatever the input is across whatever patch you have selected, giving you a wet output of the vocal (or whatever you have for an input) as a complex envelope set to the tone of the dry synth patch.

A talkbox on the otherhand, uses a speaker to emit the sound through a tube in your mouth that you use your lips to form wordlike sounds similar to talking.

Although they both use vocal formants, they will give you different effects. A vocoder will be more chorussy, while a talkbox will be more soloish.

As far as making a vocoder sound like a talk box, I really don't know. It's something I've never tried.

Reaction score
The only way you could achieve the talkbox sound is by actually using a talkbox and playing your R3 through it. I made a ghetto talkbox using a pair of ipod headphones and some vinyl tubing that was laying in the garage. I used a quarter inch adapter and then plugged the talkbox into the headphone output of the amp I was using with my Moog, then I cranked the volume on the amp. I used 3 saw tooth waveforms at the 16' pipe length, and I kept the filter and cutoff dialed up about halfway. It actually doesn't sound too bad for the less than $5U.S. it cost to make.

Ask a Question