Tascam US-428 and Windows XP

Reaction score
I am trying to install a Tascam US-428 USB audio interface onto a Windows XP computer running Cubase. The Tascam worked great on an older computer (WIndows 2000), but the XP machine refuses to use the Tascam drivers. I have tried installing Tascam's "XP" drivers, both V3.24 and V3.40. Also tried installing same drivers in "Windows 2000 compatibility mode". Error message is always the same "This device cannot start (code 10)". Additionally, the Tascam ASIO's appear as a pull down in Cubase, but, when selected, Cubase "cannot find" the Tascam drivers. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reaction score
US-428 & Windows XP

After a lot of frustration and swearing I read something about stand alone USB cards as the fix. Got one (stand alone USB card) and it has worked pretty reliably since then. All of the stability issues are gone. It's something to do with the plug and play aspect of the built in USB ports, the system wants to qweery them frequently or something like that. Back when I go it, the stand alone USB card was about $35. That was probably 8 years ago.

The US-428 has a lot of issues in my opinion, but I enjoy how nicely it interfaces with Cubase. It's qwirky! I also use Sonar, but the US-428 doesn't work as smoothly with it. Seems like the unit is made for Cubase.

I couldn't get driver version 36 to work. Went bac to an earlier version (28?) and it worked better. Since then I got a Windows 7 laptop, found the US-428 drivers for it and have no issues at all with that combination.

I sure like the jog wheel and stop/play/go to buttons. sweet little unit. Has made many people curse, though! Ha! Not just me. I read one guy's reply that said something about really emphasizing the 'scam' part of TASCAM!!! (wonder if he was pissed!)

Once you get the major issues resolved it's a fun unit to have in your music recording and editing equipment. Hope this helps.

Enjoy.

Reaction score
I figured out what my problem is. Neither the Tascam US-428 nor the Cubase Essentials dongle will work if they are plugged into a 4x1 USB multiplexer. Both of these have to be plugged directly into the USB port of the computer, which is an HP Pavilion laptop. So if I run Cubase and US-428 at same time, then no extra USB accessories can be used (like wireless mouse, etc). Not ideal.

Reaction score
Weird. My 428 works just the opposite. I've gone to a Windows 7 platform now and can't get it working. I really like the shuttle wheel and buttons more than the sliders.

Have you ever heard of or worked with the Shuttle Pro? Here's a link. I used one of these for a few years until it broke earlier this year. I miss it. They are totally programable and I had a pretty good work flow with it. Might have to get another.

http://www.digitaljuice.com/products/products.asp?pid=1163

Ask a Question