Tascam US144 and Cakewalk LE. Windows 10

Reaction score
OK, years ago I purchased a Tascam US144 which included Cakewalk LE. Couldn't really get it to work on my old computer. I now have a new laptop with Core 5 a lot of memory and a SS Drive. Should be plenty fast, but I still can't get it to work - Just want to be able to lay down 8 or 10 tracks -
Am I wasting my time? Is there something better and more reliable and easy to use or should I donate it and look into a small self contained portable all in one studio recorder? Very frustrating.....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Chances are it doesn't like Windows 10.

Try buying a new copy of Cakewalk Music Producer 6 or 7 on Amazon for about $40. Plenty of tutorials on Youtube to teach you how to use it.

Be advised though, that Cakewalk has some pretty serious built in copy protection allowing you to run only one copy on one machine at a given time.

That may have been your problem with the LE version.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Gary - Had absolutely no prob installing LE - It opens, and I was able to set up my US144 to work with it - assign the paths for input and output sound card etc. But actually recording doesn't work correctly - I get poor quality jerky terrible sounding recordings.
I would think we are at the point of plug and play and I wouldn't need a sound engineers degree to lay down a few amateur tracks to use as demo's ....
Was hoping that someone had a similar problem and it turned out to be some setting or something

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Your problem is MIDI latency. It's a known defect with Windows systems and the answer is to install asio drivers.

Google "fixing midi latency in windows 10" and you'll come up with all sorts of answers.

Another problem with windows is that you probably have a sh*t-ton of TSR apps and malware and god knows what else running in the background.

MIDI applications prefer a nice, squeaky clean system without too many other programs sucking up the CPU clock cycles.

Like I said, do some googling on latency and you'll come up with a gajillion approaches to cleaning up your system so it will serve as a proper MIDI workstation.

Simply installing any other MIDI program would probably give you the same results.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question