Technical question: Power converter with regulator

Reaction score
Hi there,

Recently my band started planning a possible US tour next summer/fall. Since all my gear is on the european 220V I would rather like to be able to use a converter than to buy all new gear (especially as there is no way I could afford that :p)

My question is, has anyone ever used a converter and regulator for 110->220 and what kind. I am currently running 5 boards and a line mixer plus a pedalboard.

I would preferably like a rack mount one but you can't be too picky if there is no such thing available.

Best,
Hansi

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're going to need a really good high amperage unit or a few good quality lower amperage units.

I'd suggest checking a few of these out.

http://www.220-electronics.com/diamond-series-voltage-converters.html

Some of their models are rated MIL Spec and suitable for sensitive equipment.

I'd also advise looking around for something with built in line conditioning or at least decent surge protection if you're going on live venues with crappy generator power and or flaky local power companies.

I'd say overall do your homework and don't cheap out on the adaptors since you'll be protecting a small fortune in equipment.

Gary

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Incidentally, you may have problems with line frequency if all your equipment is 50 Hz and dependent on that frequency internally since North American power is all 60 Hz.

You may have to buy something special that's regulated and inverter based with a true sine wave output and line conditioning built in.

Depending on how fussy your equipment is that could translate to quite a few bucks.

Gary

Reaction score
Hey Hansi,

You might ask here - there are a stack of gigging keyboardists on this forum:

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/18/1/The_Keyboard_Corner

I have no doubt many of them have encountered the same challenge as you're about to face and might be able to recommend some equipment. As a humble Aussie down the bottom end of the planet I have no wisdom on this - I could cross 5 European countries in the time it takes to get from Adelaide to Sydney!

Cheers,

Paul

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

I did not plan to skimp on this part of the rig as it is the price of the boards going wrong is a lot higher than of a one time purchase of a good converter and regulator.

I was even thinking about buying a rack mount 220V power conditioner that I will use also within Europe to protect my gear further and then add a good converter separately that I can plug in between when needed. I have about 2 months before my next gig right now and then another 6-8 months before leaving for the tour so there is no rush on this for me right now

Wes

Reaction score
Line frequency is unlikely to be a problem with today's equipment. Even yesterday's equipment, anything that goes from AC to DC internally will be fine with the slightly higher frequency (converse is not always true).

If you are bringing a Hammond organ with you, you WILL need to do something about the line frequency.

As for the voltage, you should first look at all your equipment. A lot of modern equipment will run on 120 or 240. Also, for anything that uses a "brick", you can simply purchase a new brick if the one you have is single-voltage.

Wes

Reaction score
I will probably not be bringing a Hammond as the difficulty of lugging it around is so great and I have a Nord C2 which is close enough sound vise. Only one of the boards I am running uses a brick, the rest use internal converters which, if I remember correctly, all but one operate on 200-240V, the one exception is 110-240V.

Thanks for the info on the frequency, I will look at that better. Although I was thinking about getting a regulator either way to avoid spikes and drops in power due to the fact that I am sometimes playing with not so great/stable electricity

Ask a Question