Technics EX10L ... (midi organ) : velocity ?

Reaction score
Hi!

We're about to acquire a 20 years old MIDI organ, a Technics EX10L.

The owner does not know how MIDI works and its functionality.

We're wondering if it has velocity or not. Some say it was pretty rare in these 1st gen MIDI organ.

Reaction score
I'm too young to be familiar with the gear, but I suspect it doesn't have velocity in terms of its own sound engine. At least, most classic organs don't have velocity; that's what the swell pedal is for.

Does it still pay attention to velocity and send that over MIDI? Well, it's impossible to send a MIDI Note On event without a velocity, but I'd think the organ would either send velocity based on the swell pedal position or just send a constant value *if* it doesn't detect velocity from the keyboard.

Really, you should be buying gear like this for its sound. I wouldn't even consider using it as a MIDI controller, given that good MIDI controllers are cheap, and thus, I wouldn't care about the velocity of outgoing MIDI data.

Reaction score
Technics EX10L Velocity

I own and have been playing a Technics EX10L for a number of years and recently conected it to my computer to use with the Miditzer Virtual Pipe Organ program. The organ does not send velocity over midi. I haven't been able to get the swell pedal to change the volume in the program either. I also haven't been able to cancel the pedal registrations so with the keyboard presets off and volume levels at there lowest setting I can play both keyboards and the pedals in the Miditzer computer program but you can still hear the pedals through the organ speakers. Other issues that make this organ less than desirable are the 4 note polyphony (number of keys that can be played and heard at the same time) per keyboard. However, when using it with a Midi program on my computer the polyphony appears to be unlimited. I acquired the organ without any manuals so I'm sure the instrument is capable of more than I've been able to figure out to date.

Ask a Question