Technics GA1 problem

Reaction score
Hi
I bought this used organ 11 months ago and really love it, but it has developed a fault and although I got a 12 month guarantee the company I bought it off has ceased trading. Just my luck. On the upper keyboard when I press either G, B or Eb it sounds as though multiple notes are being played, louder with more percussion. Anybody got a clue as to what has gone wrong?
Thanks
Hutchy

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Probably dirty keyswitches. It needs to be opened up and cleaned out properly.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hi again. I took off the back cover and there is not much room and it looked okay (I don't know if I should somehow have stripped it down further). The problem I am getting is that if I press half of these keys down they are okay, but press them all the way and they also sound a semitone down. Also, it is on all G, B and Eb's on the upper keyboard. If it was dirty key switches would it be like that in every octave?
Hutchy

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
It may be a dirty connector.

Try CAREFULLY removing and reseating the ribbon connectors one by one to clean off the oxidation. Use some deoxit contact cleaner on the contacts if you have some.

I cannot stress enough that these are very delicate connectors and that you must remove and reseat them with extreme caution to line up the correct pins and not bend any pins. If you screw this up you could brick your board.

Look at youtube for videos on repairing keyboards BEFORE you start ripping stuff apart blindly.

If you have no idea what you're doing you probably shouldn't be doing this stuff yourself.

I said it probably needed cleaning, I did NOT give you a go ahead to rip it apart and DIY it.

Take it to a service tech if you are not confident in your ability to repair it yourself.

Gary

Reaction score
Thanks for your comments. Me having a go will be a last resort as I have learnt over the years my limits (I am 62). I will continue to try and find a local technician.
Hutchy

Reaction score
Hi
I bought this used organ 11 months ago and really love it, but it has developed a fault and although I got a 12 month guarantee the company I bought it off has ceased trading. Just my luck. On the upper keyboard when I press either G, B or Eb it sounds as though multiple notes are being played, louder with more percussion. Anybody got a clue as to what has gone wrong?
Thanks
Hutchy

Did you ever a good answer? I had that happen too with one key. I RESET the organ, from the settings of the previous owner. All is great!

Reaction score
Did you ever a good answer? I had that happen too with one key. I RESET the organ, from the settings of the previous owner. All is great!
Hi. I did try resetting it a few times with no success. However, I left it for a few weeks and went back and it was okay. I suspect the problem was because I moved it into a room with no heating so it didn't like the temperature change. I have moved it into the bedroom where it is warmer (my wife wasn't thrilled). The fault seems to be intermittent. At the moment only 3 notes are affected in one octave so it is still playable in the higher octave.

Ask a Question