Technics GA3 Problem....take 2

Reaction score
So, I've had my GA3 for two weeks now. When I got it, I notice the SECOND "B" key from the end, was playing louder than the rest of all the keys, top or bottom.
It was annoying and I read the manual and found how to reset the organ to original settings.

Seemed to do the trick....so I thought.

I've recently discovered all the fun downloads on the Technics/KN7000 site there for rhythms and such. Have downloaded what I have an interest in. I put a couple discs in. No problem.
Today, I had downloaded from the stylediscwarehouse.com, some of the free downloads. I placed disc in and loaded with all the great voices, rhythms and all. One problem. Guess what has reared it ugly head again? You guessed it! The same "B" key is acting up. So, I reset the organ...again. I put in a different disc with just the CMP rhythm styles only. Back to normal. So, I attempted to put the other disc back in again and the "B" key still plays louder.

ANY..ideas what is causing this? I've NOT..attempted to take the back of the organ off. My Thomas organ, that one, I've had the back off. The top open and I KNOW what that looks like and what's where. Technics..I'm clueless and afraid to take anything off.

Any suggestions?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If the GA3 has velocity sensitive keys then typically the problem with a loud note is a dirty or failed membrane switch under the guilty key.

Since most keyboards use pretty much the same mechanism you can find dozens of videos on youtube describing how to take apart and clean and repair a keyboard. If you're lucky you may even find one specific to your model.

Other than the DIY route your only other option is taking it to a keyboard repair shop for a good cleaning that will set you back between $150 and $200.

Other than that there's not a lot of specific advice I can give you for that model.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Well, if that theory is correct, why...doesn't it do it all the time? Just trying to think through this that's all :)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Intermittent is quite common. A bit of crud or dust or cat hair under a contact gets moved around back and forth everytime you hit the key.

Do you keep it covered when not in use and do you own any pets?

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
If you don't believe me then ask Technics Tech Support. They'll either tell you the same thing or stonewall you and just say take it to an authorized service centre.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Yes, it covered. I just did a complete clean of the exterior two days ago.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Do you own a cat or a dog?

And how long have you owned the unit? And did you buy it used?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
If you don't believe me then ask Technics Tech Support. They'll either tell you the same thing or stonewall you and just say take it to an authorized service centre.

Gary ;)
Meant no offense. If you read what I said, " Just trying to think through this that's all". Trying to be logical here. Works fine..with NO issues when played....WITHOUT putting discs in. Can you see WHY..I'm trying to be logical and as to WHY, with what you are saying, it doesn't make sense to me and just wanting TO...UNDERSTAND!

Reaction score
Do you own a cat or a dog?

And how long have you owned the unit? And did you buy it used?

Gary ;)
It's covered. Have one cat. I think I'm the third owner. Just had it two weeks. Just did a cleaning and even in between keys. Everything is fine. Just when I put in a disc that has ALL the formats for voices and rhythm.I load a disc with just CMP/rhyt
hm files, it's fine.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
You're not answering my questions.

How old is it?

Is it second hand?

Has it been used in a household with pets?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
OK, you're the third owner.

You have no idea if the first two owners kept it covered or had pets.

Warranty is not an option for you.

All the same, why not contact Technics tech support and see if they tell you any different.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
OK, you're the third owner.

You have no idea if the first two owners kept it covered or had pets.

Warranty is not an option for you.

All the same, why not contact Technics tech support and see if they tell you any different.

Gary ;)
I've emailed on that board as well. Probably hear back from an Admin this evening. The GA3 models were late 1990's..like 96 maybe.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
And just FYI, wiping down the exterior with a damp rag is NOT the same as a thorough internal cleaning in a shop.

The way keyboards are designed the switches act like suction cups sucking in every bit of surrounding dust and pizza and cat hair until it clogs the switch and it no longer operates.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
And just FYI, wiping down the exterior with a damp rag is NOT the same as a thorough internal cleaning in a shop.

The way keyboards are designed the switches act like suction cups sucking in every bit of surrounding dust and pizza and cat hair until it clogs the switch and it no longer operates.

Gary ;)
OK....NOW..you have offended me. FYI..I don't just wipe down with a damn damp cloth. I'M MUCH MORE PARTICULAR THAN THAT! SECONDLY...FYI...I HAVE a Thomas organ,, WHICH..I DO have a tech guy for it! YES..I KNOW HOW A BLOODY DAMN ORGAN SHOULD BE CLEANED AND MAINTAINED!

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Look. I'm simply saying that nothing you can clean without opening up the unit can compare with a PROPER DISASSEMBLY AND CLEANING.

You have argued with me at every turn in this thread and seem to be absolutely certain that I am feeding you bullshit.

If you think you know better why bother asking?

Gary :eek:

Ask a Question