TECHNICS KN440

Reaction score
I found a technics KN440 keyboard for sale "nearby", but it's a couple hours drive away, I can't find anything about it online, and the guy who owns it knows nothing about it.
Is it capable of synthesis? What does it do??? It has so many goddamn buttons but I have no idea what it's meant to do or what it's capable of! Thanks for your time.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

You obviously didn't look very hard.

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
As far as "Is it capable of synthesis," the answer might depend on what you mean by "synthesis." As far as I know (haven't checked that specific model), it is a digital "ROMpler" with arranger (auto-accompaniment) capabilities, rather than an analog or virtual analog synth. But a ROMpler is a type of synth-- like a sampler or wavetable synth, except the wavetables are in ROM rather than RAM-- and many ROMplers have the ability to load new sound samples into their RAM areas or internal disk drives. I believe the KN series let you modify their built-in sounds by adjusting things like the attack/release times, or filter cutoff/resonance; a look at the MIDI implementation chart in the manual should give you some idea of what its capabilities are.

Reaction score
Welcome.

The Technics is a capable keyboard or at least the very old reviews say it is. I am not sure when it first was released but it could easily be 25 years old with all the potential problems that a vintage keyboard may have.

For me a round trip of four hours would cost £70 in petrol alone and hence the total cost would have to be very worthwhile.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Ask a Question