Technics SX-KN400 midi connection/config

Reaction score
Hi all, I recently changed my daughters KB for the above. Its a great KB albeit pretty old school and as such requires setting up the Midi ports to communicate with sequencing software like Garageband.

The manual for it sounds ridiculously complex but in summary sounds like I need press the sub/midi key twice, press tempo key once to select the part (poly1), select the channel (using 1) and all of the other settings should mean nothing. But I am not getting midi messages out via the cable to USB input of the laptop. Dont have my daughters Mac here so testing using using Midi O/X

When I plug the cable into USB the Midi in flashes for about 30 seconds then stops. Nothing appears in the Midi O/X monitor and no leds on the midi in/out of the cable. Plugged the cable in to the out on the KB and vice versa. Not sure what else I can do. Have done a reset of pressing the 3 manual percussion buttons together and turning power on but that also doesnt seem to do anything. Can anyone see something obvious that I have done wrong?

ha

J

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Very often cheap USB MIDI interfaces fail right out of the box.

Try another cable if you can.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I searched for information on the usb connection for the Technics SX-KN400 and did not find a user manual showing that connection. The manual I found only show the stand din midi connectors. Given the age on that keyboard, and lack of information about a USB connection, it would be my guess that the USB connection may be for data only and does not support USB midi data. YMMV Don aka B3maniac

Ask a Question