The crazy climate around the world....

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
So how are we all making out in our respective corners of the globe.

Toronto is having a mild heat wave with temperatures in the low 30's and humidexes in the low 40's.

Seeing insane things in the news.

Spain is on fire.

Rome is rationing water and shutting down the fountains.

UK is setting new records for heat.

A/C is nowhere nearly as common in Europe.

Tornadoes and droughts and more fires across the USA.

Next time I turn on the news I am expecting locusts and frogs. :)

So how are you guys handling all the crap mother nature is flinging at us.

Myself, I was lifted off my feet and smeared face first onto the pavement by a freak windstorm called a Derecho, with 120 Kph winds measured at the local airport. I've spent the last 6 weeks regrowing the skin on my knees and face. :p

Anyway, here's hoping you're all OK.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Hope you heal up well after your mishap.q

At my age, I do not handle heat well, it has got worst the older I have got.

Over 40 degrees C at certain places here in England and the temperature reached 38 degrees in the shade in our back garden and 29 inside. I still have my whirling hydrometer from my Engineer days and measured the humidity and it was almost off the chart for being so dry.

I live in a single story house and set up a fan to blow air from the inside to the outside and opened windows at the far end of our house to give air movement through the house where the incoming air would be partly cooled by the cold mass of the internal structure. We then had a light airflow through our lounge that was slightly cooler and the air movement over our skin helped our bodies regulate our temperatures better.

Trains stopped running or offered slow limited service as the rails were starting to buckle in the heat. Roads were starting to melt and many Councils used their Gritting Trucks to spread sand to try and mitigate the damage.

There have been at least two deaths of teenagers who have drowned whist free swimming in old quarries and one in Salford Docks where our TV stations have their studios. It is a popular residential and entertainment venue and we have seen many jumping off the old quays about 12 feet into the water.

My car is parked on our drive and it is covered in a fine sand.

Six terraced houses were burnt out when a fire started in one of them. Dry grass ignited in another residential area and many gardens were destroyed.

I live in an area of our City surrounded by a golf course, woods and open countryside and there are about 2000 houses, we walk our dog in the woods which are tinder dry and the Brooks which wind their way through them have almost zero water flowing down them. Of all the houses in our enclave there is only one which has a visible AC unit installed, home AC is not very common at all.

I was in my local electrical/electronic wholesaler two days ago buying parts to modify my home network and was tempted to buy a mobile AC unit that they had on display.

Certain areas have introduced hose pipe bans to limit water consumption after a very dry Winter and Spring has not filled up reservoirs.

Today the weather has broken and the temperature is far lower with light rain showers expected.

Stay safe

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
How much longer before the sea level rises 20 feet and you end up snorkeling in your bedroom? :D

Gary. ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Gary, we understand that will be 2050. I will be long gone by then...I have a plan.

There are lies, damned lies and climate forecasts.

It's not going to happen overnight.

10 years from now Tahiti may be annexed by Atlantis.. Whom do you plan to sell your beach house to? Aquaman? :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The East coast of Australia just experienced days of huge rain dumps causing swollen rivers flooding our cities and towns. Floods have been up to house roof tops.
We had a once in 100 year weather event. That's what they tell us. 2nd time this year. . Go figure lol.
Blame it on "la nina" or "global warming" BS!

Anyway good excuse to play this awesome tune. (Opposite of la nina)

Reaction score
New York was just yellow for a couple days because Canada is on fire. Weird couple of days there for sure. Finally clearing out... for now.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Thanks Col.

Hopefully it's supposed to clear over the weekend.

Staying in my apartment with an air purifier.

Ask a Question