The Good Old-Fashioned Rhythm Unit...gone forever?

Reaction score
OK, I'm here under false pretences. I don't own a Keyboard. I don't play a Keyboard. I play banjo and guitar. I'm here to ask if anyone out there in Keyboard World could help me source a Rhythm Unit....apparently they're called Drum Machines now.
I play in a duo, and we've decided to incorporate a plug-in drummer to assist us in keeping the beat when either of us falls
asleep during a number.
The problem is that every unit we look at is more like a mini-computer. Remember those chunky simple boxes from the 70's?
Just a line of push-buttons, Waltz, Swing, Rock etc. if I recall. That's all we need.....but finding one is proving impossible.
Then I remembered seeing similar units on or around Keyboards years ago, and it got me thinking...maybe a Keyboard
player might haveone in their attic? (Behind the 8-track player, on top of the Tele-Tennis set LOL)
Any thoughts or search directions would be much appreciated....then I'll leave quietly! Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Tony

If the Alesis unit recommended by happyrat1 is not quite what you are looking for, you might want to take a look at this one. I have their MTR-3B that they made several years ago and find it very handy. If you are looking for mainly a quick "metronome" feature, you can just pick a rhythm of the right genre and play it over and over ad nauseam or you can take a couple of minutes and string several different variations of the same genre together and save them as a "song" for a little more realistic accompaniment:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Zoom-RhythmTrak-Drum-Machine-H86818-i2595930.gc

Personally, I would probably go for the Alesis unit. It is in the same price range as the Zoom unit. The Zoom is a nice unit, but Alesis has been in the drum machine business a lot longer and I think has a more perfected user interface. There are also various models of the Roland Boss "DR" drum machines (new and used), but they get kind of pricey for what you are looking for.

Good luck !

Regards,

Ted

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have a Roland TR-505 - want it? :)

The Y-man
Hi, what kind of monet are you looking for? It might be fairly expensive to ship it over.....but I'd
be interested in a total cost. And thanks for your response, we had a great holiday in Oz and NZ a few years back,
visited a friend in Stawell while we were there.

The Y_man

Reaction score
A bit tongue in cheek my offer - mind you if you are ever in Melbourne you can have it for free.

It's probably cheaper for you to just go and buy a brand new Boss DR3 (AU$239 here - check your local dealer) - it will have heaps more function and sound heaps better.

The Y-man

Ask a Question