The Greatest Album of All Time?!?!?!?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here we have it.

If you were destined to live out the rest of your life on a desert island with only one album and a way to play it, knowing once the batteries died it could never play again in your life time, what would you binge listen to one last time?

(one entry per customer please... terms and conditions may apply... :D )

Here's my choice:

If this were the last album I could listen to before I pass away, I would not die sadly ;)

Gary ;)

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
My choice would vary. Right now it might be Hamburger Concerto by Focus, which is my current go-to album. But there are so many others, in so many different categories.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
My choice would vary. Right now it might be Hamburger Concerto by Focus, which is my current go-to album. But there are so many others, in so many different categories.

Michael. Just listening to the whole thing right now. Impressive fusion rock. Will be looking to add this to my collection. :)

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Because, I am only allowed one entry . . I will select one of Tull's finest moments .
"A Passion Play"

Strangely Ray, A Passion Play was Tull's biggest commercial flop and signaled the end of his days on the music charts.

I'm curious to know what draws you to it?

Gary ;)

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I'm curious to know what draws you to it?
It is musically underrated by far. It is a complex album. It is far superior to Thick as a Brick. . IMO.
It is a gutsy tune with BASS and DRUMS powering abundantly. It has unique rhythm and melody like no other. KEYBOARD features predominately too.
The time signature varies throughout creating excitement in the listening.
Of course Martin Barre's GUITAR genius contributes immensely. A genuine Tull fan would agree with me.
Did I mention Ian on the FLUTE . . ?
Give it a listen . . high volume works well.
Ray

Reaction score

Traveling Wilburys Vol. 1 with George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Bob Dylan, Roy Orbison and Tom Petty. :cool:
Great choice.
For what it is worth here is my top six in order of preference:-
Runrig, Proterra
Tavelling Willburys
Beatles, Sgt Pepper
Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon
Tina Turner Foreign Affair
The Sutherland Brothers Band

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
Michael. Just listening to the whole thing right now. Impressive fusion rock. Will be looking to add this to my collection. :)

Gary ;)
Of course, Hocus Pocus was what put Focus on my radar-- I think I saw them perform it on one of those live rock concerts they used to show on TV in the good old days. And that album-- Moving Waves-- was probably my favorite Focus album, especially side two, which is a lengthy piece called Eruption. As I recall, I was initially a bit disappointed with Hamburger Concerto. But I've come to consider it as being superior to Moving Waves.

SeaGtGruff

Reaction score
It is musically underrated by far. It is a complex album. It is far superior to Thick as a Brick. . IMO.
It is a gutsy tune with BASS and DRUMS powering abundantly. It has unique rhythm and melody like no other. KEYBOARD features predominately too.
The time signature varies throughout creating excitement in the listening.
Of course Martin Barre's GUITAR genius contributes immensely. A genuine Tull fan would agree with me.
Did I mention Ian on the FLUTE . . ?
Give it a listen . . high volume works well.
Ray
I used to listen to Passion Play a lot, and agree that it's a better work than Thick as a Brick. But from what I've read, it was a commercial success, not a flop-- a number one album in the USA, although panned by the critics.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Of course, Hocus Pocus was what put Focus on my radar-- I think I saw them perform it on one of those live rock concerts they used to show on TV in the good old days. And that album-- Moving Waves-- was probably my favorite Focus album, especially side two, which is a lengthy piece called Eruption. As I recall, I was initially a bit disappointed with Hamburger Concerto. But I've come to consider it as being superior to Moving Waves.

I remember Hocus Pocus was playing in every bar in Montreal in the early 70's.

But I always thought of Focus as a one hit wonder.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
A little off topic but I've gotten into a lot of the Guess Who lately, especially the live stuff on their reunion. All hail to the Canucks.... LOL

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I have not heard Traffic or Hocus Pocus for about 4 decades. . .Kinda forgot about them. I did have one Traffic album which believe it or not did not include hole in my shoe. I remember feeling cheated when I bought it. I remember owning a Hocus record too . Oh and I also owned deja vu lp. They were awesome back then and listening again now . . still awesome.
Thanks for the memories.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
A little off topic but I've gotten into a lot of the Guess Who lately, especially the live stuff on their reunion. All hail to the Canucks.... LOL

Yeah, Burton Cummings has been a Canadian Icon for decades.

I was more a fan of their AM singles than their live stuff though.

"American Woman" and "No Sugar Tonight" just don't sound right unless they're blasting thru a 2 inch speaker :D :D :D

Gary ;)

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I used to listen to Passion Play a lot, and agree that it's a better work than Thick as a Brick. But from what I've read, it was a commercial success, not a flop-- a number one album in the USA, although panned by the critics.

I was in full agreement with the critics right after it came out.

We all saw it as derivative of Tull's earlier Thick As a Brick and nobody wanted to listen to another 45 minute concept album again so soon.

As far as we were concerned that was the day Ian Anderson stopped putting out "fresh" material.

Gary ;)

Ask a Question