The Hunt (Experimental)

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
The Hunt

https://soundcloud.com/orianelima/the-hunt-by-lima-o

The_Hunt.png

This music came to my mind after reading the poem "The Hunt" by Tabanell (Allpoetry). It is a ostinato and insidious sound, as a suspense thriller to accentuate the action. I would appreciate if you could hear it. Thanks in advance.

The Hunt is an experiment in which I mixed different sounds, trying to create the atmosphere of a wild woodland. It is a metaphor concerning an "animal" or a "human being", which is slowly and doggedly pursued by a poem. The action takes place in a dense, cloudy and rainy forest, full of thunder and incidental noises. A treacherous and insidious situation in which the hunter moves with discrete and stealthy steps, hiding in the forest entrails, trying at all costs to be invisible, between trunks, branches and vines, carefully looking for his victim to throw his verses, and subdue it. (Incidental sounds free of rights). The poem is below the link.

The Hunt (Hunted by a Poem)
by Tabanell

I smelled your parfum
And horrified
Sensed danger in the air
I am fast alert now
You hunt me
But you don't see me yet
You try to come
And obliquely
You keep coming
I hold my breath
Petrified
Then, suddenly...
You see...
And yell a poem at me
And you think... I got it!
My heart explodes
As possessed by unnatural instincts
I simply vanish
You missed me
I am fast running, now
In complete panic
Only the noise of my heart
Surrounds me
Then, I realized
That the sound of the very moment
You yelled, to subjugate me,
Is the only sound
That echoes in my mind
...Easy... easy... easy...
But I am free
And trying not to faint
Evading faster and faster
To my secrete shelter
Far away from your verses
Poet

Last edited:

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Ha ha ha, hey! Ray, and I thought that the stuff was very cool, hahaha, nothing like another opinion, for us to lower the ball. This is what happens when you're my age. Thanks:p

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Oriane. I was only joking. Clearly The Hunt is not music and I was just playing with you. You took it in good spirt the way I intended.:p
You are a good sport.
Actually the sound you created is very clever. It captures the moment. I feel the eerie and fear of the jungle. Bird and animal sounds with a distant thunder. Well done.
Just need some native drumming. I am now picturing a canibal stiring the cooking pot. lol. . (Joking again):D
Cheers.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Ray, as I said in the title of this thread, this is an experimental "Music" or "Sound". As you know well, anyone can try something, anything. Have an idea or, say, a premise, from which you can then develop an entire experimental situation. As I said before, we can experiment with anything, it's human nature. One can experiment trying useless things (as I did here) or complex mathematical equations or delicate surgical procedures (using robot in cadavers) and so on, as you know... In the case of this "music" or "experimental sound", if you prefer, I agree that it is completely useless, just a hobby to pass the time. It is, however, a sound that tries to marry with the poem "its main idea" which I found very interesting and in a certain way, totally surreal (Bosch alike?).

But Ray, you did not heard the noise of Jodie Foster footsteps running in the middle of the forest and did not felt the acid smell of smoke coming out from the "smoke signals" made by the primitive inhabitants of the forest. Please approach your eyes and nose near the computar to see the smoke clouds, and smell it's acid essence (if you don't have any respiratory problems) and try to decifer why The Hunter, after three well aimed shots, missed his victim.:p:p:p

Thanks, Ray.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
Hi Oriane. I was only joking. Clearly The Hunt is not music

Depends a great deal on your definition of music. My father (who was an avante garde classical composer) defined music as sound organized through time. Under that definition, this is music. Whether it's to your taste or not is a different issue.

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
It was interesting to find relatively tonal music coupled with a lot of found sounds. Normally, the "experimental" music I hear is also very non-tonal. Your melodies and chords weren't on the fringe, yet there was a lot of found sounds.

(And for those who say that found sounds aren't included in music, have you listened to the beginning of Close to the Edge?)

I'm not sure that the same style of slow melodic movement works after the gun shot. I took that to be the slow approach to the victim. Once the shot rings out, you're no longer approaching the victim. But this is just one person's view.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Fred >>> I imagine your dad played the 20th century composers like Webern, Stockhausen, Schoenberg and John Cage?

Cage is an interesting one. Have you or your dad ever played a prepared piano?

I was mainly exposed to these composers thru an old friend I had years ago who has since passed on.

Webern never appealed to me though. Atonalism is not my bag. The 12 Tone stuff was more tolerable.

To me Webern came across as "epileptics banging on trash cans" :D

Gary ;)

Fred Coulter

Reaction score
It's worse than merely playing and composing modern music. He performed the world premiers of piano pieces by Debussy, Stockhausen, and Boulez.

As for prepared piano, I remember his opera (called something like Cinderella Tressed in Yella) which was performed in the very early 1970's with prepared piano and tape accompaniment. Personally, I dislike tape accompaniment for live performances, but given the state of technology back then I don't think they had a choice.

I grew up with my father's music. However, I never developed an appreciation for it. As he got older, he became more tonal. And now that I'm getting older, my tastes are becoming more catholic.

Oriane Lima

Hold on
Reaction score
Fred , after the shootings, the creature runs desperately. The hunter tries to run, chasing it . But at a certain point the hunter stops. The creature follows running , then you hear its heartbeat, tachycardia. Those are just moments of poetic licence, sort of climax to match the final lines of the poem.
:)

Ask a Question