The learning process..

Reaction score
Just wondering how many in these pages are self taught?
My wife surprised me today when I played something for her.... she said "I liked that."
BUT, it was on my acoustic guitar... oh well, at least I'm moving forward.

I also just started learning the acoustic guitar about a month ago and threw a synthesizer (piano) into the mix days later, so trying to "self teach" myself on both...
Oh well, it's a journey I'm enjoying.. How did you all do it?

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Aside from a traumatic attempt with a triangle in grade 1 and a bit of notation in primary school I started out self taught on a Boehm Flute I bought myself on my 18th birthday.

I played it for about a decade until the pads started to wear out along with my lungs.

Then in the early 80's I picked up a Casio MT-70, used, for an atrocious amount of money back then. I think I ended up buying it for $300 or $400 CDN :p

(The light pen was not included for that price :p )

Casio_MT-70.jpg

After that point, prices started to drop on quality synths and by the 90's I was hooked on keyboards and began horse trading my way up to my current collection.

In all that time, I never acquired a formal tutor. So I probably do many things totally the wrong way today, but as long as I'm pleased with my final output I'm OK with that. :)

Gary ;)

Reaction score
I have been playing a guitar for quite a few years.

Alas arthrytis of my hands has been making guitar playing a bit uncomfortable, especially barre chords as my left hand fingers do not bend or spread as they once did.

As it is I can play my Bass without as much discomfort.

Thought that I would transition to Keyboards so after having a coupke ended up with my Korg PA700 which I then found to heavy to carry so bought the lightweight Kross 2.

Thoroughly enjoy tinkering around on both but do prefer the Kross.

The problem I find the most difficult to master is uncoordinated hand actions, with a guitar there is an interaction between left and right hand actions but playing a left hand sequence on the keys whilst playing something totally different with the right has been quite a struggle for me to get around, it is more a work in progress.

A bit like Gary we too had a spell in the 80’s with a Casio and that was fun until the dry joint syndrome started to affect the keyboard, then the black screen of death occured and the Casio wad consigned to the recycling centre.

Reaction score
Someone had to start the process, I mean being self taught then passing it on. Most likely back in the 1700's. Enough for history. I believe anyway a person does things for a enjoyable outcome is the right way.

In the books I purchased to learn to tinkle the keys, I rip out and shred the pages on how to sit. I will do what's comfortable and use the fingers that work for me.
What I do take from a book lesson is timing, although I learned that when I play the drums in school, note position and staffs. That's all helpful for me, but other than that, like that famous song,,, "I'll do it my way"

I am having troubles with my left hand acting on its own too.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually formally written music began in the middle ages with Gregorian Monks creating notation for their chants and songs.

Around the same time, crude keyboard instruments were also created in the form of early organs and hurdy gurdys and bandoneons.

Then around the 15th and 16th century came the renaissance and the formalization of much of what we call music today.

And Bach invented counterpoint and Beethoven played with chords and here we are now :D

I've always wondered what would happen if we came upon a tribe of undiscovered aboriginals who had never had contact with civilization and dropped an indestructible piano in their village and let them play with it for a few years.

What amazing rhythms and scales would we hear after a decade or two?

Gary ;)

Reaction score
There is no magic formula, process, method, call it what you want.

There is only what works for you.

I do not like books, I have a batch of keyboard books and some have been browsed once and now live on my bookshelf, never to be used again.

I had keyboard lessons once a week for a month, then gave them up.

I did subscribe for a couple of months to an online site and that was brilliant at getting me going on a keyboard, I watched the videos over and over and made copious notes, now I have a practice schedule that I sort of follow and as I progress I can follow the notes to change the practicing.

Mainly I dive in now and learn a song, play along to an mp3 or just improv.

Tip
Look at and learn the Blues scales, improv with them and you can produce a great sound.

Reaction score
There is no magic formula, process, method, call it what you want.

There is only what works for you.
I agree, everyone is different. The wonderful thing is, especially with the internet, there are so many resources out there that are available. You might enjoy using one of those learning apps on your phone or ipad, or just watching you tube videos, or books, or whatever. The main thing is just to keep practicing, nothing is a substitute for playing. So whatever inspires you to do that is what will work the best for you.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Actually that's what happens when a piano is over a hundred years old and uses real elephant ivory for keys.

This is why you should brush after every meal folks :D

Gary ;)

Reaction score
You just burst my bubble!

There is me thinking that the keys are getting so much playing and being creative with that there is no time to clean them!

Reaction score
Well I joined one of those free music writhing sites and made up some chord / note reading sheets that should help me some. Even writing is helping with note position. The journey continues..

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Here's a handy chart to get you started... Print it out and memorize it... :D

http://www.piano-keyboard-guide.com/ledger-lines.html

ledger-lines-piano.jpg

Remember, spaces on the treble clef spell FACE, spaces on the bass clef spell "All Cows Eat Grass," Lines on the treble clef spell "Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge," and lines on the bass clef spell "Good Boys Deserve Fudge Always." :)

All you really have to memorize though, is the spaces and the lines are easy enough to pick out by moving up or down a note. The toughest part is learning the alphabet :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Memory is based on associations. Therefore, in order to remember something, you must create a strong association with something that you already remember. The strongest associations are usually visual, but you must try to attract other types of perception to make the association even stronger.
Musical memory. It means memory for the construction of music, its structuring. Usually people do not pay the slightest attention to this aspect, as it includes knowledge of the theory of music and harmony. Take care of this aspect, writing out harmonic progressions, learning to build melodies (ascending / descending gamma, jumps, etc.). You can also try to copy music (several times) until you can write it from memory. If you do not "understand" music, it will be difficult to remember, since it will be (for you) just a random sequence of notes.
Try this method. Put your book with the notes of the play you are trying to memorize on the table next to the piano (but far enough so that you can not see the content). Now you can peek at the notes as much as you want, but you do not have to bring them to the piano with you. Approach the piano and see how far you can play from memory. If you are stuck, go back to the table, and find out by looking at the notes where you are stuck and why. Then go back to the piano and try again. If you adhere to this approach and follow the principles above, you must remember your play in no time at all. However, this is a psychologically laborious process. Mentally lazy people hate it.

The first time you try all this, you will find it huge. But if you continue to work in a systematic, disciplined manner, each subsequent fragment will become easier. Then memorization will be so natural for you, that you will exercise it without even noticing!

And this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Ask a Question