The LEFT button

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
On my kb is a bank of buttons for voice control. DUAL HARMONY TOUCH LEFT etc . .
The LEFT button has me intrigued. I just found by accident what it can do (apart from the split function).
When playing with accpt on and I depress the LEFT button. it lights up. Playing a chord with left hand I will get a new voice added in. But if I release the chord keys the new voice will cease. It comes back when i change chords.
When I change the main variation . .A. B. C. D. The light on the LEFT button will turn off and the new voice has gone until I turn it on again.
Is this just a fault in the system or am I missing some critical function?
I like the new added voice but it is difficult to control. Its just a subtle voice like strings or vocal but it can enhance the arrangement.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I don't have any experience with PSR-S models, but Fred might.

On the PSR-E models, turning on the accompaniment without starting the style causes the keyboard to play chords to the left of the split.

If the Split Voice (as the PSR-E models call the Left Voice) is turned off, the chords are played in some kind of strings voice.

But if you turn on the Split Voice, you can select the voice used for the chords by selecting the Split Voice Number, and you can customize the Octave offset, Pan, Volume, Reverb Depth, and Chorus Depth.

I don't know how similarly the PSR-S650 behaves.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Hi Michael, all of the above as you explained is normal and I understand that. I once owned an E series kb and now owning the S series . .it was an easy upgrade because the operational methods are basically the same.
But the PSR 295 I once had did not have a LEFT button. Also the E series models that you have do not have it either. As well I can see that the new generation S models do not have it either.
What I just discovered with the LEFT button is most likely a fault in the system I feel. (maybe?). That button is designed to assign voices on the left side of the split point. By holding it down for more than a second it will prompt me to make changes. I have never used it for this purpose. I have just allowed the accompiament default voices to do their thing. In fact I have never used that LEFT button at all. I was just playing around and discovered what it did as I described in my original post. Unusual and not user friendly but a very nice additionl sound. An extra voice.
I was just curious as to whether that button had a dual purpose and I wasn't using it to its full potential.

Fred Coulter

Collector of ancient keyboards
Reaction score
I don't know about your keyboard, but on my Tyros the left button turns on and off the voice that you assigned to left. If left is depressed, you get the left voice on the left of the split point. (There's also a Right1, Right2, and Right3 button for the same thing on the right side of the switch point.)

I supposed the people at Yamaha think that you'll only use one accompaniment patch (on the left), but may want to switch around or layer the melody patches (on the right). Remember that the PSR series keyboards are primarily designed for use by one man bands.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Ray, the PSR-E/YPT models that I own don't have a LEFT button per se, but they do have a SPLIT button which I guess does basically the same thing as the LEFT button on your PSR-S650:

- Pressing and releasing the SPLIT button toggles on or off the Split Voice (called the Left Voice on PSR-S models).

- Pressing and holding the SPLIT button takes you directly to the Split Voice Number setting in the Functions Menu, and from there you can use the CATEGORY + button to advance to the Split Voice Volume, Split Voice Pan, Split Voice Octave, Split Voice Reverb Depth, and Split Voice Chorus Depth.

However, while the SPLIT button is available on all of the 400-level PSR-E/YPT models, it isn't included on all of the lower-level models, so the particular PSR-E model you had might not have included it.

As for the PSR-295, I think it was the precursor to either the PSR-E203 or PSR-E303, so that might be why it didn't have a LEFT or SPLIT button, even though many other PSR models did.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses Fred and Michael.
The normal action and result of using this split function works as it should. I have tried it out. No probs.
What I was trying to explain in my original post has been misunderstood. It wasn't a normal action on my part. It seems confusing so I might just forget it.
Thanks anyway. Back to normal playing.

Ask a Question