The MIDI Controllers Market Enigma

3dc

Reaction score
Is there a specific reason I am not aware off on why big keyboard companies totally ignore MIDI controller market?

Its a 100.000.000 USD value market. I know its not much on its own but it would add a lot to current annual profit to big companies like Yamaha, Korg, Roland and Casio. They stick with home pianos and arrangers on one side and synths and workstation on other side. Its not that they have to spend tons of money in RD. It would be enough to adjust their current models for the MIDI controller market.

Like the new Yamaha DGX-670 or the entry level P-45. Why in the world they don't include at least a mod wheel, two sliders and two infinite buttons is beyond me. Yes they are intended for home use but they could be a great starting point to other more professional Yamaha products like MODX 88. Why is E463 or Korg Pa-300 only an arranger keyboard? Even Casio which could use some differentiation from the big 3 is totally ignoring this market.

Why they live 100M USD to M-Audio, Arturia, Novation and other minor market players? I don't get it. Do you guys?

Reaction score
Not one of the big four but Studiologic produce both MIDI and keyboards with onboard sounds.

Roland certainly produce a range of MIDI only keyboard controllers.

I had a Roland A800 for a while but my ancient laptop had too much latency.

If you are after a MIDI keyboard controller with a pretty good keyboard feel it will cost, add in a little more cash and you can have a Roland DS or KORG Kross 2 etc.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Just to add to what Biggles said, the big guys don't see the point of selling 76 or 88 controllers for the same price as a Casio Privia or WK because they can double as intermediate level controllers at the same time as offering a built in schmegillion voices. :)

Even Studiologic is now building synths and pianos and organs as well as basic controlers.

As near as I can figure it, they've all marked out their respective territories and nobody's looking to fight a turf war.

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
I am not saying they should invest serious RD money in midi controllers just adjust their future home keyboards to be more usable as midi controllers. With MIDI and AUDIO over USB it would take them just a few plastic parts more they would have to add to next models and they could grab a good pie from 100M USD market. You don't need much, a mod wheel, a few sliders and buttons. That's it. It would be easy money for them. I am thinking about Yamaha E463, P-45 or Korg EK50, B2 price range. I would rather pay for Yamaha E4XX arranger-MIDI controller hybrid for 300-400 USD then M-Audio or Novation MIDI controller only.
I am sure I am not the only one.
Anyway I suspect they will get there eventually but I don't know why they don't grab the share from MIDI controller market now.

Reaction score
Buy a say Arturia Keylab Mk2 what are you going to buy next, another Arturia? Probably not, you will buy whatever has more bells and whistles.

Apparently Yamaha have 25% of the whole Musical Instrument sales market, that is everything, not just keyboards. So do they have a need to build low value MIDI controllers, their absence should give an answer.

With Korg just releasing 3 more Synths to make their lineup now to include 21 Synths then why whould they want to build and sell a $500 MIDI controller when they can sell a Synth, which is so good the person buying it will want another Korg Synth, then another.

Same with Yamaha as I have been banging on for years, they have about 12 beginner keyboards alone, then newbies buy one and get hooked in the brand and stick with them as they fall under the spell of YAS.

I agree with you on the MIDI front, as it happens I have been watching some of the live NAMM webinars, very interesting to see and hear some kit. Have watch two by Casio, first on their CTX lineup which I have not played but just watching the webinar the CTX range impresses me far more than the awful Yamaha PSR E series. I asked about MIDI connectivity and the answer was Class compliant MIDI via USB. Same question asked on the Casio S series and again same answer.

Now I am going to hunt out another webinar to watch.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Off the top of my head I can name Studiologic, Novation, Alesis, Akai, Roland, M-Audio, Arturia, and Nektar in the controller business.

Roland, Korg, Casio and Yamaha are fighting it out over the home consumer keyboard and professional markets.

Why in Hell's name would they want to get involved with a bunch of small potatoes in the controller market when it's the big ticket items that bring in the dividends son?

It's simply not profitable to expand into a non proprietary line when 8 (and more) other companies have it sewn up already?

Remember, these home boards are marketed to children (of ALL ages) who want to live out their rock star fantasies. Rick Wakeman didn't play "controllers and modules" during his concerts. Hell no. He had SYNTHESIZERS!!! That's the ear candy that's being sold to affluent gen x-ers and boomers these days.

Controllers and soft synths appeal more to young milennials and bedroom artists and hipsters. These people don't bring enough cash to the game yet.

Us older geeks still don't put the degree of trust into software which the young so sheepishly accept.

Hell, the richest among us could heat their houses with all the tube amps they buy.

Simply put, the biggest market these days for these companies is stodgy old men and women buying pro gear for themselves and noisy toys for their offspring.

Simply put. Gen-Xers and Boomers are the target demographic in this industry and most of us neither want nor need any extra controllers.

Sell a synth, you'll sell ten more.

Sell a controller, that's it, the rest is software.

NO MONEY NO FUNNY :D :D :D

Gary ;)

3dc

Reaction score
I agree with you on the MIDI front, as it happens I have been watching some of the live NAMM webinars, very interesting to see and hear some kit. Have watch two by Casio, first on their CTX lineup which I have not played but just watching the webinar the CTX range impresses me far more than the awful Yamaha PSR E series. I asked about MIDI connectivity and the answer was Class compliant MIDI via USB. Same question asked on the Casio S series and again same answer.

Now I am going to hunt out another webinar to watch.
Boy do they miss opportunities at CASIO. As if someone from their management looks for all possible excuses for not selling their products.
They removed CASIO PX-560M and PX 5S from the market. PX-560M was ideal entry level midi controller and stage piano hybrid but they forgot to put proper midi support in it. PX 5S was actually a proper midi controller/synth hybrid but you can't buy it anymore. Not to mention their CTX-5000 - MZ-X500 fiasco. So much potential totally wasted.

The irony is they are complaining all the time on their forum about competition but all they do is following instead of disrupting the market. They actually have the upper hand but they don't see it. Truly sad on how poorly they conduct their music keyboard business.

Simply put. Gen-Xers and Boomers are the target demographic in this industry and most of us neither want nor need any extra controllers.

Sell a synth, you'll sell ten more.

Sell a controller, that's it, the rest is software.

NO MONEY NO FUNNY :D :D :D

Gary ;)

Again I am not saying they should make new MIDI controllers just adjust current or future models for proper midi workflow. The future is heading toward "cloud" business and new "PC/MAC/TABLET" generations. Think Roland Cloud, Korg Software, EASTWEST Cloud etc. You can get Roland Cloud Ultimate for 19.99USD/Month with all of their latest synths and sounds. You don't need to spend 4000 USD for latest Roland, Yamaha or Korg workstation.

Sure as you said most people will always prefer workstations and synths but ignoring the rest of the market options is short sighted.
Just my opinion.

Reaction score
$20 a month so after five years you have spent $1200 and when you stop paying and you have zilch

Spend $1000 on a Roland Juno DS and after five years you still have kit worth say £400 so depreciation has cost you $10 a month.

Renting does not make long term sense to this old timer.

Ask a Question