The next step in learning

Reaction score
OK I have been playing keyboards for a year, and here's where I'm at. I haven't taken any lessons because they are expensive, and I have played music on other instruments so I pretty much know what music is all about. I taught myself banjo, bass & guitar.

So I taught myself the basics on keys... chords, scales riffs. Jammed with a Deadhead band. I have a book of Rock Keyboard, plus I am learning parts of "light my fire' and I have a Doors play along book. Recorded a few jams in Cubase. I can jam along with the Ambient station & usually can play along with most things I hear. I'm not really big on advanced theory or music reading. Now I'm in the process of learning Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which is the 'Stairway to Heaven' of classical music.

I keep thinking about responding to ads for keys players/jamming, but I am afraid I'm not good enough yet. So now I'm wondering how I can increase my proficiency so that in another year I can play with a band. Just keep learning more songs? Are there special skills I should learn? Buy books of 'intermediate' or 'advanced' skills? (I don't see myself being a pro piano player... more interested in Rock, electronica, ambient, blues etc but of course it would be great to be as talented as Jordan Rudess or Ray Manzarek:))

Reaction score
To achieve the next level in playing skills, you usually need to find your weak spot, and start training that as far as you can.

So, if you find your weak spot, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of exercises to practice on to get that into perfection :)

If you don't really have that kind of "weak spot" so you're pretty decent on most things, you can always try and get more speed :D (Learn from my mistake, though; always use a metronome when practising fast things)

Reaction score
Play along with recordings, trying to pick up what's on them. Use them as playalong tracks as well. Play what they're playing, and also play stuff that they're not playing that sounds good (accompaniment or solo). It'll give you an idea of things to work on as well.

Reaction score
To achieve the next level in playing skills, you usually need to find your weak spot, and start training that as far as you can.

So, if you find your weak spot, I'm pretty sure there are a lot of exercises to practice on to get that into perfection :)

If you don't really have that kind of "weak spot" so you're pretty decent on most things, you can always try and get more speed :D (Learn from my mistake, though; always use a metronome when practising fast things)

I agree.
My weak spot is that it takes me too long to learn a song. I have to work on that.

Well, you gotta... write some music.

Ask a Question