The Thirteen Loudest Bands of All Time...

Reaction score
Is this a competition? In my youth I played bass in an amped out band where I followed tempo mainly by standing with one leg in front of the bass drum and mostly kept track of where we were by watching the guitar player's hands and imagining what the vocalists were doing - that's quality rock;). The first time I saw Vanilla Fudge, the bass was pumped through 9 quad cabinets - that would be 36 bass speakers - and the organ with only two very large Leslie cabinets would become inaudible when the rest of the band played. They had to restart 4 times as they kept blowing the main breaker in the auditorium until someone shut off all unnecessary loads. Carmine Appice, a massively physical drummer, shattered drum sticks every few minutes and broke out a series of snare drum heads while a remarkably agile roadie made repairs on the fly. Possibly, the true test is how long your ears are ringing afterwards. I'd give an honorable mention to the Amboy Dukes. In the past, I'd say Jeff Beck but lately he seems to have backed it down to just reasonably loud.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
I attended a Ted Nugent concert at the Montreal Forum with my little brother and his friends back in the seventies that left us all stone deaf standing on the street corner for a half hour aferwards.

It took that long before any of us felt safe to drive.

The jackass propped up his guitar against a speaker cabinet for 5 minutes and walked off the stage while we all suffered permanent hearing damage from the feedback. :p :p :p

That was the Wango Tango Tour back in 78 or 79.

It was also the last hockey arena concert I ever attended. :p

Last edited:

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
I wonder in the 70's did they even bother to measure and record db's?
Many a local band blew out our ears in those days. Just about every weekend. It's a wonder I can stlll hear properly today.
Also I remember when Led Zepp toured Aust. and started their show with Immigrant Song that pierced my ears right at the start and actually spoilt it for me for the rest of the show.
Also one Tull show I saw, the flute screetching sound killed it for me. The ear piercing was painful.
Ray.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
At the time Nugent billed himself as the loudest act on Earth I think.

They started measuring SPLs around the mid to late 70's, but didn't really start to do anything about it until well into the 80's.

By the early 80's half the major performers from the 70's were already wearing hearing aids in their 30's. :p

Gary ;)

Last edited:

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
I read that ELP once got in trouble while practicing (out at a country manor?) because they were playing so loudly that they were supposedly making the water in their neighbor's bathtub vibrate.

SeaGtGruff

I meant to play that note!
Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't know the details about the distance, but I figured it must have been a ways away. :)

Also, I suppose the neighbor wasn't splashing around in the bathtub playing with his rubber duckie at the time, although I don't know if that was ever proven. ;)

Ask a Question