Thinking of buying a CK88 (upgrading from a P-115/S750) - Advice?

rm5

Reaction score
I've had a Yamaha P-115 and a PSR-S750 for seven and nine years respectively, and I'm looking for a well-needed/deserved upgrade. I bought these keyboards when I was still pretty inexperienced, and now that I've gotten significantly better in the last five or six years (thanks to some awesome piano teachers), I've been playing out a lot more, and I'm starting to realize the P-115 especially isn't a good gigging keyboard. I think it's a really good "home keyboard" because that's what it's meant for. The sound, especially coming out of a PA, is just egregious—I can't stand it! The high register is way too tinny and the low register is way too boomy, and trust me, being a jazz player and doing a lot of solo gigs, those left-hand bass lines are far louder than my right hand due to the imbalance of the sound. It's also a very heavy keyboard, etc. etc. So, I'm looking to upgrade to something far better, and I was thinking of buying the newly-introduced CK88, which, after looking at reviews, it looks like quite a bargain for the great CFX samples that are on there! Is this a good idea? Should I be considering something else? I was also looking into Nords, but after playing a Stage 3 the other day, the action is really spongy, and almost non-existent. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Reaction score
i only heard a demo of the CK61, and it was amazing. would love to have it. about the keys on the 88 version, here is what they say:
so basically, a standard yamaha GHS. not bad, not great. if you're a pure pianist, search elsewhere. for what it meant to be, on-stage piano, i believe its fantastic. I see it as a good alternative to the hyper expensive Nords.

Reaction score
Wow took a look at some vids of the CK61/CK88 and love the features, sounds. I'm ready to replace my aging Korg Kross 61. It's been a solid workhorse, but the organ sounds are cheesy. Can't argue with the 10 lbs carry weight.

rm5

Reaction score
Just to update you all, after VERY CAREFUL consideration, I've actually decided to get the (significantly) more expensive CP88—I just think the sounds on that board are slightly better, and I think as a whole it'll last me longer

Ask a Question