Thinking of getting a Yamaha XS for doing 80's music. Good choice?

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am would like to get a nice workstation keyboard. I need to have a keyboard that can replicate accurately the sound of a grand piano. AND I really like 80's synth music. Ah Hah, Van Halen Jump, ect..
Stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3JZCl2ZdWs
It looks like this keyboard can do everything I need, and it has been out for a little while, so a used one can be had for $1600+.

Usually I like to get gear that is more vintage and collectable, so that if I ever want to sell it, I can get some of my money back. So instead of just buying a guitar amp, I go out and get a 1971 Marshall superlead. That way I pay 2K for it and could probably get most of my money back if I ever want to sell.

But from what I understand with the vintage 80's synths, they can't do all the sounds I want in one machine. I would have to buy an Oberhiem to do Jump and who knows what else for the other sounds. Am I correct?

Do you think the XS is a good choice for me? Or is there a more preferred model out there that can do it all and is more collectable? Do I just need the XS6 or should I get the XS7, XS8 or pay way more for the current XF model?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have the Motif XS 8 and let me tell you, it is all the keyboard you need. Just the feel of it, not to mention it's built like a brick house. The 80s sounds are untouchable on this thing. It's like having a DX7, an M1 and a D50 just in 1 category. It has a ton of great pianos from concert grands to layered ballad pianos.
My favorites are the electric pianos. Without a doubt it has the best Fender Rhodes EPs and the Wurlitzer sounds are off the charts.
As far as which one to get?..... Depends on what you like. My XS8 is for my home studio, so it never leaves the house. It's kinda big and heavy to gig with. I like the weighted hammer action keys also.
Keep us posted with what you get.

Ask a Question