Three Canadian radio stations are banning Michael Jackson's music

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score

MONTREAL (AP) — Three major Montreal radio stations have stopped playing Michael Jackson songs as a result of child-molestation allegations against the late musician that aired Sunday in an HBO documentary.

A spokeswoman for the owner of the French-language stations CKOI and Rythme and the English-language The Beat says Jackson's music was pulled starting Monday morning.

Cogeco spokeswoman Christine Dicaire says the action is a response to listener reactions to the documentary.

She added that the decision will also apply to Cogeco Media stations in smaller markets in Quebec. The company operates 23 radio stations.

The documentary "Leaving Neverland" began airing on HBO Sunday. It details the abuse allegations of two men who had previously denied Jackson molested them and actually supported him to authorities.

...snip...

It goes without saying that genius and perversion are often opposite sides of the same coin if history is any indication.

In this case, however, I support the stations' decision in this since even though Jackson is dead and buried, his victims are not.

Michael had a phenomenal talent but if there was any real justice in the universe, all the royalties and profits from his career should rightly go to his victims. :mad:

Gary ;)

Reaction score
What's confusing me about all this is I hardly thought it was new information?

I'm not an expert on Mr Jackson but my understanding is that these allegations have been swarming around him for years - long before he died.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
The problem is that Jackson's lawyers settled out of court years ago to keep the details under an NDA.

Nowadays with the #metoo movement and the media more receptive to whistle blowers HBO created a four part tell all documentary and the victims are coming forward with public details about what a monster he really was.

Remember, it wasn't the victims who received the settlements. They were minors and their parents would rather take the money and run rather than fight it out in the courts for twenty years.

These people deserve to be heard and the sooner the better.

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Ignoring his appearance and mask fettish there were interviews on
UK TV where he explained about how it was perfectly OK for non related young boys to sleepover with him and even share his bed.

So yeah absolute power corrupts absolutely.

His mental state was no doubt due to the domineering abusive parenting that he was subjected to if the Press is to be believed.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
The news of the Canadian radio ban has just arrived here in Aus. It is getting mixed reactions.

I personally agree with your sentiments Gary. There is no place here in this world for paedophiles.
Thankfully, Jackson has departed earth now and moved on to another world. A blessing!

We are getting bombarded now with TV interviews and docos showing us the dispicable lifestyle of this once hero and it is a kick in the guts for all of us who loved his music to see what he did to young boys and how he used his wealth to manipulate his lifestyle. If we can beliveve it all . . . ? It sickens me and I agree with the radio stations.

Ray

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Alleged paedophile. N.B. Alleged.
Just because some people say it happened doesn't mean that it did. People do lie for their own reasons.
From wikipedia:
"Around the time of the first Home Alone movie, Culkin became friends with pop singer Michael Jackson, and appeared in Jackson's 1991 "Black or White" music video. In 2005, at Jackson's trial for sexual child abuse, Culkin testified that he had slept in bed with Jackson but that he was never molested. He dismissed the allegations as "absolutely ridiculous". Culkin attended Jackson's burial on September 3, 2009."

So who are we to believe?
I do hate this trial by media, it's usually only there for the news channels and alleged victims to make money or to gain publicity.
I remember the victimisation of a landlord in a murder case in the UK a few years back.
He was proven totally inoccent but it ruined his life.

Ray, how did Michael leave the planet? SpaceX?
I thought that he'd died.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
Overdose of painkillers :p

And the only reason he was never convicted in court was because of the million$ he spent on lawyers.

Sure and OJ was innocent too :mad:

Money corrupts....

Gary ;)

Reaction score
Alleged paedophile. N.B. Alleged.
Just because some people say it happened doesn't mean that it did. People do lie for their own reasons.
From wikipedia:
"Around the time of the first Home Alone movie, Culkin became friends with pop singer Michael Jackson, and appeared in Jackson's 1991 "Black or White" music video. In 2005, at Jackson's trial for sexual child abuse, Culkin testified that he had slept in bed with Jackson but that he was never molested. He dismissed the allegations as "absolutely ridiculous". Culkin attended Jackson's burial on September 3, 2009."

So who are we to believe?
I do hate this trial by media, it's usually only there for the news channels and alleged victims to make money or to gain publicity.
I remember the victimisation of a landlord in a murder case in the UK a few years back.
He was proven totally inoccent but it ruined his life.

Ray, how did Michael leave the planet? SpaceX?
I thought that he'd died.

Sorry John.

No adult with all the faculties intact shares their bed with a non related child.

Even if apparently innocent and nothing untoward happened, it is still weird peadophile behaviour to even consider it as acceptable in the first place.

Just my thoughts.

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
They're running the documentary on UK Channel 4 as I type this. I'm watching it to see where it takes us.

Gary ;)

\

happyrat1

Destroyer of Eardrums!!!
Reaction score
That was painful to watch. Part 2 is tomorrow. They are describing the relationships with painstaking detail.

Michael Jackson was a f***ing Monster!!!

Gary :eek:

Reaction score
May Jackson burn in hell.

Just this minute the guy is describing how Jackson fondled him when he was 7 years old and undressing him in bed and performing oral on him then getting him to reciprocate.

Disgusting.

Rayblewit

Love Music / Love Life
Reaction score
John,
Don't be offensive!
No sense of humour then Ray?

The whole text of yours was giving MJ full credit.
Disagreement with the majority about his behaviour is your opinion! I respect that!
I have a sense of humour but I believe your comment was disparaging! Not humorous!
Ray

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
No, the text was not giving credit to anyone, especially Jackson, deliberately so.
I do not support him, neither do I condemn him, nor will I based upon any journalistic report or programme.
I'm Just quoting something that is on record in a court of law.
Culkin said he slept with Jackson but that he wasn't assaulted.

I believe in justice, god knows I suffered enough injustice at boarding school.
More than fifty years later I'm still trying to put it all behind me.
I believe people are innocent until proven guilty.
I don't believe in witch hunts.
I agree that sleeping with unrelated children is inappropriate, but it doesn't mean that he was a paedophile. He may have been.
Case not proven.
You only have to look at the man, his skin colour, the operations he had upon his face, to come to the conclusion that here was a deeply disturbed individual. I suspect his father, and probably his father's father, and so on back many generations.

Consider for a moment the case against Cliff Richard.
Vilified in the press and persecuted by the police and the BBC.
Found innocent and awarded substantial damages.
I don't know whether Jackson is innocent ofrguilty and I don't defend him in any way.
I just don't want a media jury to find him guilty without fair process.
That is a witch hunt.

If you've ever had any dealing with the media you will know the underhand ways that they will go to to pursue "a story".
Sadly, I've been on the periphery of one such "investigation", nothing to do with any criminal offence, and I've seen the depths that some journalists will plumb in pursuit of their careers.

Ray,
What's disparaging about asking whether someone went to another planet by SpaceX?
When we die we go to the grave. Even the highest born do that.
Depending upon your beliefs their may be an afterlife.
But that's religion and it's against forum policy to go there (I think).

I will defend anyone's right to a fair hearing.
The fact that others were prepared to accept money to drop the case may actually have fulfilled their original objective.
Do you know otherwise?
The same my be true today. The Jackson estate is considerable.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
Watch the programmes John.

What makes you think I haven't been watching?
I even recorded it so that I could watch again. There's another tonight I think?
All I see and hear is allegations. Very effective use of the camera, but I'd expect nothing less.
But where's the proof?

Biggles, do you believe what you read in newspapers?
If so, which one. e.g. the story in the Telegraph or the same story with the opposite view in the Guardian?
The answer usually is "they're both telling lies".

I don't for one minute deny that he might have been abusing his star status.
But he's not here to defend himself, is he?

Oh, so easy to attack someone who's not around to defend themselves.
In my book that's an act of extreme cowardice.
I suspect the Jackson estate will settle out of court again, which I also suspect is what the alleged victims desire.
Until the next time, when they need some more money.

But then, that's what we've come to expect, isn't it?
With the sweetest, gentlest man heading it all up.
Half a dozen visits on business over the years was enough to pursuade me that I'd never want to live there.

Once again I see the media having a field day. I bet they're laughing all the way to the bank.

Reaction score
A normal guy does not sleep with other peoples children, in this country the Police and Social Workers would soon be at the door of such an individual. We have it here that in the past people like Saville and Cyril Smith used their status to groom and abuse others and got away with it. So just because an individual has not been found guilty in a court of law it does not mean they are innocent.

If you give such people the benefit of doubt then if just one child is abused that is one to many.

There has to be zero tolerance to child abuse and if a guy started hanging around a childrens playground or outside the school gates then alarm bells would soon ring and action would be taken.

Jacko was grooming children and their parents, there is no other way to describe it, that is what you saw with the documentary. He was using his celebrity status and mountains of cash and top lawyers to field off accusations and the court cases.

Did he change his behaviour after the first court case?

There has been far to many different reports of Jacko’s behaviour with young children over the years for there not to be some semblence of truth.

As for the Guardian and Telegraph who reads those rags anymore, their sole aim is to sell copy.

John Garside

JohnG
Reaction score
A normal guy does not sleep with other peoples children, in this country the Police and Social Workers would soon be at the door of such an individual. We have it here that in the past people like Saville and Cyril Smith used their status to groom and abuse others and got away with it. So just because an individual has not been found guilty in a court of law it does not mean they are innocent.

Soon? Really, soon?
What, like the recent cases of systemeatic abuse by gangs that have gone on for years because the police and social services have been scared of being accused of racial predjudice?

What parents or society allows their children to sleep over with a grown man in the first place?
Where were the parents or social workers or whatever?
Why was Jackson ever allowed to be in a position to abuse children?
Or did the parents see it as a way to earn much money in the future, regardless of the impact upon their children?

Biggles, I rather think you've missed the point of my comment about the newspapers.
Google exists to sell ads, BMW exists to sell cars, Morrisons exists to sell food, etc.
And the TV channels exist to con you in exactly the same way as rags you despise.
It's the way of the world.
It's called capitalism.
They're all trying to sell you their version of the truth.
It's surprising how many ways facts can be misrepresented if you try hard enough.
Example? POTUS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question